Soft spots in spalted maple?

I bought a beautiful 67" long board of spalted maple on eBay to use as drawer fronts for a chest I'm building. Wood arrived yesterday and it is gorgeous. There are a couple of small soft spots in the figuring, places that feel a little spongey or like cork. Is there some way I can stabilize these or harden them so they won't further deteriorate? What about taking a finish after doing that (whatever "that" is)? I don't know how deep the softness goes, but I'll be thicknessing this board down to 3/4" from 1 1/8". Will that get me past it? Thanks for your help.
Ian
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 07:17:39 -0700, Ian Dodd wrote:

David marks advocates using cyanoacrylate to stabilize areas like that. I'd probably mill up a bit to rough dimension, then experiment with an off-cut.

Again, you could use the same off-cut to try a couple of finishing techniques to see what the effects are.
--
Joe Wells

Like joe said - use CA glue. (Order it online or at a local woodworking shop - borgs dont carry it (or at least mine dont)
Take a look in the woodturning newsgroups for some great instructions on exactly how to use it.

Is spalted mample the same as wormy maple? Just curious.
[snip]
(Never Enough Money) wrote:

discoloration caused by a fungus. In maple, it most often manifests itself as dramatic irregular dark lines through the board.
Nope, the worms leave when the fungus begins. Toxins, you know.
When they get it working again, you'll find good stuff on spalting at: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/pubs.htm