Snell Manufacturing

Last fall at the Springfeild Ohio flea market I acquired a set of auger bits for my Miller Falls brace. The 13 augers are in a drop front Jennings auger box and start at 4/16 and run through 16/16. They are marked "Snell Manufacturing Co. Fiskdalle Mass" Does any one know anything about the company?
My thanks in advance- Dave
snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com (Dave Tipple)

I can't give you details, but Snell is one of the well-known older auger bit makers. Dates are probably something like 1880s to 1920s, but just a guess. Fiskdale is/was a suburb of Sturbridge, MA, fairly near Connecticut, where other bit makers were located. Not sure if Jennings was in CT (Russell Jennings-- C. E. Jennings, was another), but James Swan was, and other tool-bit and edged-tool makers. Millers Falls, MA, would be about 30 miles to the northwest of Sturbridge. I think their rosewood braces are one of the truly exceptional handtools still generally available at flea markets and like. I have a couple of couple, with various sweeps. Frank Morrison

The production of snells has been moved offshore.
Surprise, surprise.