Smoothing planes and card scrapers

I was in a woodworking class where we were building these coffee tables. One of the students made the top by laminating a 3 inch wide piece of ebony between two outer pieces of some other hardwood (forget the species - but it was a nice color combination). He used a newly purchased Lie-Nielson large scraper plane to finish the top, one of the reasons being that sanding would have potentially caused staining from the ebony onto the surrounding wood. Anyway, the result was absolutely beautiful. The finish was like glass.

- MB

Reply to
somewildmonkey

I ordered a package of scraping related stuff from lee valley. Included int eh kit is a holder for the scraper that allows you to turn a thumb screw to set the amount of bend. That should make it much easier on the fingers.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

"Roy"

Where is that!? I can't find a local woodworking group here in SoCal!

Dave

Teamcasa

i didn't read all the replys. there was a post a month or so ago about the diffs b/t planes of different qualities/quantities.

Reply to
bent

Good answers above, but for smoothing a surface that's already been machine planed, you just want a smoother (using the stanley numbers):

1-4: smooth 5: jack 6: fore (sortofa anemic jointer) 7-8: jointer

The dimensions of these planes can be found on Patrick Leach's page:

you want a cheap plane you are better off with a cautious purchase of an old Stanley on ebay.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I did not see the other.

Reply to
Leon

It's right there!

Reply to
Enoch Root

Only the ones Norm uses

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ebony scraper finishes _beautifully_, and quite easily.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's also way overpriced in Canada, even though LV says it's made here.

$25 US, $36 CAD. I called our local store, pointed out that the two currencies are onyl 15% apart.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

If it wasn't for the postage, I'd send you one of mine.

The #45 is a turkey. Like all of those iron combination planes it has lousy cut quality. A rack of old wooden moulders might take up more space, but the results are incomparably better.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

LOL.

OK OK OK,, I do not always proof read may spell checkers changes. LOL.

Reply to
Leon