Small portable dust collectors?

Anybody have one of these and can you tell me if they are worth the price. How about noise? I have been looking at the 1hp from Grizzly and Harbor Freight. TIA

***
Reply to
Bill

***

Either would probably take care of chips, as long as it wasn't on a big planer or joiner.

But they wouldn't have the horsepower or fine filters to pick up the finer dust that can damage lung tissue.

Reply to
ibarakicho

Fine Woodworking just did a review:

March/April 2006, Issue Number 183,

TOOL TEST: PORTABLE DUST COLLECTORS, by Michael Standish Affordable and mobile, 1-1/2-hp machines can do the job if you follow two simple rules

Preview the article:

http://www.taunt> Anybody have one of these and can you tell me if they are worth the

***

Reply to
No-One

HOGWASH. If you can search the reference source you're sitting in front of, you'll learn how flawed the original "study" on wood dust was, how subsequent research has failed to find correlation based on dust - not chemicals.

Oh yes, and learn the difference between filtration and settling if you're paranoid, and get some thicker felt bags.

Reply to
George

I bought the HF 2hp unit, it pulls a bit over 10amps at the most I can load it, the same amperage as my 2hp Grizzly table saw motor does at most cuts. The bags were never installed upon the machine, instead I sold them on Ebay.

A wynn cartridge sits upon the unit and does a lovely job of getting the fine dust which goes down the line, and there is a quite a lot of it.

Not as small as the little 1hp -1/2hp with the bags sideways, they will not store much work from a planner before being completely filled up though.

When I get to build my larger shop, I hope to move to a large cyclone with 3-5hp. On a tablesaw you also NEED the overhead guard, just too much gets off the top of the blade.

Reply to
arw01