Small, fairly simple project-plan(s)?

Greetings,

I come begging advice. Does anyone know of (preferably free) project-plan(s) for a small, fairly simple woodwork project that is not silly (cut-outs of animal shapes, etc)?

I have a little table saw, scroll saw, router table, drill press, etc and only moderate woodwork skills. Last time I surveyed free plans on the net and in the library I found near nothing.

Any help much appreciated.

Puddin' Man

Leon

Yes, under the Dewey Decimal system, look for the 684 section.

For a turn-of-the-century schooling in woodcraft, look to Lee Valley for their book entitled _Projects For Woodwork Training_. Oh, it's the turn of the 19th century. (LVT no longer sells it, so try the Amazone

) It covers from woodworking to wicker to leather in increasing difficulty.

-- Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously. -- anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You might like a book called "The Big Book of Weekend Woodworking" Several used copies are available on Abe:

don't just look at the library, ask for the book. Our local library has more than once ordered a book I asked about if they couldn't find it at another branch. They've even subscribed to a magazine I wanted.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

"Puddin' Man" wrote >

The book storage projects on my site at:

might be suitable. For something a bit more demanding, please look at:

Jeff Gorman

There are some pretty cool project plans at The Woodwright's Shop:

simple though, it's really just a matter of having the dimensions, determining where the wood will intersect and deciding what sort of joint is appropriate at those points. Then one just has to work out how to resolve exposed edges / planes stylistically.

I plugged in your lost of tools and ``free woodworking plans'' and found this site:

willadams

If you want ideas, suggestions, tips and general chat, I highly recommend checking out ...

take no resonsibility in how obsessed you may become lumberjocks. Enter at your own risk!

eNjOy! `Casper

Reply to
Casper

There are "many" free plans on the Minwax site:

the furniture section is a bedside table that I have built "several" for various children.

This is just one of many sites that have all the free plans you care to download.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Pat Barber

Whatchoo got against simple animal shapes? LOL I third the suggestion to look at lumberjocks.com Good luck!

Reply to
Bill

Look here! Lots-o-plans. Free too.

RP

I love pukey duck animal shapes when they have couth.

My favorite of all time. Copy your own dog's profile when making it yours!

One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"William F. Adams ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a12g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

I used some elm from a tree in our yard to build a "Dovetailed grease pot". With some modification, it could be used as a pen holder, certificate holder, or all kinds of other things.

You can use a contrasting piece of wood for the dovetail butterfly, I think Roy did.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Aww man, that's art. I assume that you have 2 versions of that one! :)

Reply to
Bill

------------------------- East bound out of Muncie, In, about half way between Muncie a I-75 is a hog farmer on the North side of the road.

Painted on the side of the barn is a mural showing a boar and sow in the appropriate pose with a caption below that reads "Mak'in Bacon".

Call it Hoosier humor.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lots of versions. I put them in people's yards who walk their dogs past my house and let them shit in my yard.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I received a copy on Saturday. Holy Crom! Are these "creative" people paid for their "work"? I think I'm gonna be sick...

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

project and shows any new techniques introduced but doesn't hold your hand, you need to think about how you're going to do it.

Each project is small enough to be done in even the smallest shops, and by the time one has worked through the whole book one will have been exposed to a pretty wide range of techniques.

It's not free, but at $16.50 it's not horribly expensive either.

If you don't have a planer then you'll need a source for boards thinner than 3/4 inch.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've ordered several woodwork books from the library and am sure to find something in there and/or online. Also sizing up a table saw sled.

Many thanks to all!

Best, P

Puddin' Man