Small Corner Cabinet

Hey all:

Wife asked me to build a small corner cabinet in a lav that we have. It needed to be about 12x12x32.

Did it in about two days, using mostly scrap pine, poplar and some scrap beadboard. Finished it with some oak for the outer siding rails and top fascia plate. Never made a trip to the Depot! All was in house!

I have a question? What to use for the top... I was thinking about getting a 12" stair tread and cutting to fit. But I also thought some of those new engineered materials like you would put on a kitchen counter like Corian or Zodiaq or even make a Crete mold. I am sure I can get a scrap of something pretty cheap!

Here is a progress of the build if anyone care's to see.

ideas or comments are much appreciated! TIA

Phred

Reply to
Phred

Very nice! I love the satisfaction of making something useful out of stuff I already have just laying around the shop.

A piece of Corian or something similar would look great if you think you have the tools and the know-how to work with it. Personally, I would stick with theme of the oak frame. Glue up a rectangular slab from 3/4" or thicker oak boards (unless you already have something wide enough), cut it on a 45 large enough to give you a little bit of overhang on the front, and maybe put an ogee or a roundover on the front.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:44:25 -0600, "Charlie M. 1958" scribed:

Hey Charlie! Thanks for the reply.

I made a template out of cork sheet we had and took it in to the company that made our granite countertops. Asked nicely if they had a piece of ANY scrap about that size and they found me a piece of Alabaster marble and would route the edges and square the back.

Price was $25.00 - It was scrap and were just using as a sample in the showroom. I guess it always pays to ask!

I will update the finished project website when I have delivery of the top.

In any case, it was a fun project to do with just the bit's and pieces hanging around the wood shop. Also a certain satisfaction of doing it on the cheap... Cost me nearly nothing...

Best

Phred

Reply to
Phred