Small ambient air cleaners - which one?

Hi all -

I've got a small shop with a Onieda dust collector for various tools with for source collection, but I'm looking for ambient collection for dust that gets away from the main DC or from operations that have no good collection method. My shop is small, has a low ceiling and is pretty cramped so the bigger hanging units just won't work. I've seen a number of smaller units and was wondering if any of you have had experience with any of them or could give recommendations.

Jet - model afs-500, 3 speed, 283 - 440 cfm, $230. Delta - model ap100?, 1 speed with light, 400 cfm, $230. Shop Vac - model ac235a, 1 speed, 235 cfm, $145.

Prices are from a single source which had all 3, I would comparison shop before buying...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks. Les

Reply to
LesT

I have the Jet, 3 speed and although I forget the air cleaning specifics but it does clear the air as advertised. I especially like the 3 speed since in the summer, it's my cooling system also. Shop is approx. 11"x18" with a low ceiling.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I have my Jet unit hanging over the side table for the 50" fence of my table saw. I cannot walk there anyway and the unit is up against the wall so it circulates well.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thanks John and Bob -

My shop is a little larger than Bob's (16x24) but it's still crammed full. Nice Idea about hanging over table saw - mine is movable, but USUALLY is in the same approx. space.

Les

Reply to
LesT

I am thinking of trying one of these for collecting dust in another location outside of my workshop. For as simple as it seems it must work well or Lee Vally wouldn't sell it.

LdB

Cheap furnace filter strapped to a box fan does the same thing.

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote in news:igae0d$g69$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Neither traps the really small particles that will be the worst insult to your lungs. You'll have to find a way to trap particles that are 1 micron or less.

Reply to
Han

And I thought my shop was small!!! Art

Reply to
Artemus

Dust mask?

Reply to
-MIKE-

No, they take 80% of the airflow away. Even the 20-micron filters. Tried it twice and never got much air through either type, 5 or 20.

Right you are, Han. HEPA filters spec to 0.3 microns.

-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep - but good things come in small packages..........;-)

Reply to
BobS

Yep. It also takes air pressure to blow air and dust though fine filters. Bladed fans are very poor at building pressure.

You need a squirrel cage blower. You can go to any heating supply company and get a used one out of a retired air handler, and roll your own. If you don't have room for one in your shop, you can put it outside, and pull air from the shop and return the filtered air to the shop.

Reply to
Morgans

That's great idea. The cheapest I've seen those hanging box air cleaners is $100. I wonder if one of those used blowers could be had for under 40 bucks.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Offer 10 or 20 bucks. Get one with multi speed capabilities if you can.

These are going to the dump to be recycled, if you do not recycle them first. They would be getting more than scrap costs with your offer.

One thing I will tell you to help you convert one, because it is counter-intuitive.

If you hook up a blower, and it either trips the breaker or trips the motor's thermal overload protection, or draws more amps than the motor plate says it should, you can make it draw less power. Block off the size of the blower's exit duct until it draws the amount of power it can sustain. It does not make sense, but it will speed up and draw less power.

Reply to
Morgans