Slightly OT: Playground Border

Page 2 of 2
On 5/28/2010 11:54 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

As in most everything that Carlin said, there is kernel of hard truth at the bottom of that.
My favorite:
"If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

----------------------------------------- It's simply the litigious society in which we live.
Here in SoCal, you have attorneys who jump on TV telling people to call them, they will get them "the compensation they deserve", if they have suffered any of a list of minor events including dog bites.
It simply is CYA time.
Lew
On Fri, 28 May 2010 11:40:11 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Or buying a mower which isn't as powerful as stated. What a horrible wounding of the soul THAT causes, eh?

No, I think Shakespeare was right. If only it were Open Season...
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Well, that is fraud. Can you imagine how devastating it would be to find out that your table saw is only 2HP?!

He had the profession wrong. Politicians should be first, followed by bureaucrats. Lawyers are a good bit down the list.

Oh, about a $35 wound for a walk-behind. You can put a price on suffering!

I'm waiting for the Hot Dog Bite law suit ...
On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:15:00 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

I don't remember much of that, but I did it, too. If these new parents only knew how we spent our youts...the dangerous actions, illegalities, and foolhardiness. But most of us made it out alive, kicking, and totally intact: ten digits, two eyes, and more than a few brain cells.

Amen, bruddah.
--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly
is to fill the world with fools.

Still got the scar on my right knee and the one on the sole of my left foot. No sutures, of course ...
On 5/28/2010 6:58 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

I'd be more concerned about an adult tripping over it after dark than about a kid tripping over it while playing.
On Fri, 28 May 2010 19:06:29 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Yeah, then you'd have to clean up all the Mad Dog 20/20 puke when he fell and got dizzy.
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------
On Fri, 28 May 2010 15:58:31 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Nah. The hog ring pliers were handier than the stapler.
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

We're talking body Piercings!

Lap joint on the ends work well for both corners and in-line connections. McFeelys has some timber screws which will secure the joints for years to come. Counter sinking the heads is a good idea but I'd wouldn't worry about the kids tripping or slipping and falling as this is a consequence of growing up. Besides they're most likely to fall into the mulch or the grass which is NBD. Art
On May 27, 2:10am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Years ago I built playgrounds for a living and we were required to use 2- 6x6's stacked on top of each other staggered and used timber spikes 3/8's or so thick 12" long and pre-drilled 5/16 holes. We ~had~ to use "Woodcarpet" TM not mulch (too many twigs to poke an eye out) 12" deep which would pack down to 8"-10" eventually. I think you will find that 4" will pack down to 2-3" which is practically no use at all as far as fall safety. If I were you I would use your 4x6's stacked 2 high for 8" or so and try to pile your safety surface to 8". 8' is code off of swings and slides as far as length away from the ends them. You do not have to do any of these as far as I know for a homeowner type of project. BTW, an 8" high wall is not a trip hazard, it's a real long balancing beam. Take all this with a grain of salt and do as you please.
RP

Thanks RP, we're looking at the newish rubber "mulch" for the area, and as I understand it there only needs to be half the material thickness for the same basic effect as regular wood mulch.
As I look more at this, I'm convinced we need to go deeper than a single layer of 4x6. It simplifies things regarding keeping the pieces in place, and would probably be nicer to sit on.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper:

Half lap them and pin them through.
RE: Subject
SFWIW:
The complex where I live installed a playground about 4 years ago which includes a swing set and a slide.
They surrounded the play area after scraping away the grass with a 5 ft high split rail fence backed up by a 6 ft high hedge.
A 3 ft wide opening is provided at each corner for access.
Lew