Slightly OT: Playground Border

----------------------------------------- It's simply the litigious society in which we live.

Here in SoCal, you have attorneys who jump on TV telling people to call them, they will get them "the compensation they deserve", if they have suffered any of a list of minor events including dog bites.

It simply is CYA time.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:15:00 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com" wrote the following:

I don't remember much of that, but I did it, too. If these new parents only knew how we spent our youts...the dangerous actions, illegalities, and foolhardiness. But most of us made it out alive, kicking, and totally intact: ten digits, two eyes, and more than a few brain cells.

Amen, bruddah.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 28 May 2010 11:40:11 -0700, "Lew Hodgett" wrote the following:

Or buying a mower which isn't as powerful as stated. What a horrible wounding of the soul THAT causes, eh?

No, I think Shakespeare was right. If only it were Open Season...

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Still got the scar on my right knee and the one on the sole of my left foot. No sutures, of course ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I'm waiting for the Hot Dog Bite law suit ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I'd be more concerned about an adult tripping over it after dark than about a kid tripping over it while playing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, that is fraud. Can you imagine how devastating it would be to find out that your table saw is only 2HP?!

He had the profession wrong. Politicians should be first, followed by bureaucrats. Lawyers are a good bit down the list.

Reply to
krw

------------------------------------------- Actually, was thinking of a safe way to have an 18"-24" high border that would be readily visible thus muting the liability issue.

If you provide an entry way with a mini sidewalk, you solve the liability issue as well as keeping the mulch in place.

Let the sidewalk project about 3 ft out into the yard that would providing a 3'x3' landing spot for any mulch that gets kicked out of the swing area..

Every time you cut the grass, sweep any mulch that found the sidewalk bay into the swing area before you cut the grass.

My guess is that after a couple of weeks the mulch will be matted enough to basically stay in place.

Another idea would be to plant Boxwood shrubs that would form a hedge.

They have no "prickers".

Don't know what the cost would be, but after a couple of years, you wouldn't have any wood to maintain, just a soft hedge to trim annually.

Just some thoughts.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oh, about a $35 wound for a walk-behind. You can put a price on suffering!

Reply to
Steve

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4c008042$0$15764 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Ah, I see. The border would act like the warning track in baseball, letting a walker know something's up before they get to the wall. The only problem would be that someone might think they found the driveway and not the play area.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Fri, 28 May 2010 15:58:31 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote the following:

Nah. The hog ring pliers were handier than the stapler.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 28 May 2010 19:06:29 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote the following:

Yeah, then you'd have to clean up all the Mad Dog 20/20 puke when he fell and got dizzy.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

----------------------------------------- At least you don't get sued, unless it's 1:00AM and you shoot the SOB.

Then you might have a problem of another kind.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No matter what you do, children Will get the 'mulch' onto the grass. You didn't plan to maintain 24/7 watches, did you?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

We're talking body Piercings!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Puckdropper:

Half lap them and pin them through.

Reply to
Mac Cool

RE: Subject

SFWIW:

The complex where I live installed a playground about 4 years ago which includes a swing set and a slide.

They surrounded the play area after scraping away the grass with a 5 ft high split rail fence backed up by a 6 ft high hedge.

A 3 ft wide opening is provided at each corner for access.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett