slightly OT: LV plane for UHMW plastic

Page 3 of 4

Absolutely. I used to order forms, envelopes, cheques, etc for the company. The volumes have dropped precipitously over the past few years. Very few cheques being written, EFT is now the norm. And almost nobody is using letterhead for communication any more.
OBWW: Some paper comes from trees. Trees are made of wood.
On 2/19/11 10:47 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

The big change happened over the Y2K issue, most companies did major systems upgrades, gone were the days of 4 and 5 part invoices etc., then it declined from there.
Ah well, all in the name of progress, good luck in whatever you should decide to do.
--
Froz...

Wow. Been there too. Worked in a private printing plant owned by a major gas utility in Ontario. Company was taken over by pipeline company in Alberta. They waited until the company celebrated its 150th anniversary, and within weeks changed its name and started stripping departments and subsidiaries until it was down to the bare bones with everything outsourced. My department was being sold to Xerox. Being 58 and having worked in the company for 40 years, I could see that I was doomed. After seeing what was happening in other areas of the company, I decided my best move was to bail out as I was 2 months into qualifying for early retirement without penalty. I was disgusted with demands of management in regard to the way they wanted me to treat our 30 employees, and walked in on a Monday with a request for retirement. With accumulated vacation time owing me, plus some other time I was owed, my last day was the next Friday. Basically, I gave them 5 days notice. Never looked back.
I now work with my son's company, an internet e-zine publisher. ---- The new wave in "printing".
On 2/19/11 1:45 PM, EXT wrote:

Your nick is familiar from somewhere else, did you post/read in AHM many years ago?
--
Froz...

CBC Radio news this morning is reporting an end to the "Postage Assistance Program" or "PAP". Apparently the funds will be used to support traditional publishers in developing a web presence.
I haven't been able to find details online yet.
My former employer gets in the neighborhood of $1 million annually under PAP. Without it, I suspect a serious round of outsourcing design and production to Asia.
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:49:20 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Nuttin' on Google.

"WTF for?" I screamed.
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Well, the department I ran had a budget of about $450,000 so they'll want to recover some of that million there. It's a lot cheaper to have someone in Manila or Delhi pick up material over the net and send a PDF back...
The days of business owners caring about anything other than maximizing shareholder value for the next quarter are long gone, C-less.
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:40:37 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Why should the taxpayer shoulder that, Dave?

That may be true for large, nasty corporations, but smaller businesses everywhere still have better morals and practices than that.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
<snippage>

Shouldn't. Apologies if I left that impression.
If the subsidy hadn't existed in the first place, then the business would have had to implement a different strategy years and years ago.

Some do, some don't.
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:23:39 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Grok that.

Hopefully, more do than don't. I think the corruption is much more rampant at the larger size of company, where the flow of cash is larger and more corrupting. Succubus management thrives there.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
<some snippage>

Agree with you on that.

And the part that was sold to Xerox was dead in less than 5 years?

Don't know, haven't been back in 10 years, but probably. After what I went through with them, I don't care what they did, as long as my pension check keeps coming as I took early retirement to get out.
On 2/19/2011 9:47 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Just for grins, after reading the above I flipped back through the register and counted the number of checks I wrote out of the household account in the year 2010 ... a total of 31 checks, less than three a month for the entire year.
1995 it was well over 250 from the same account, with a slight increase in the number of transactions in 2010.
Times, and methods, change ...
Now, if only the electric grid can be maintained.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

------------------------------------ SFWIW, one of my principles has stopped mailing hard copy invoices under separate cover.
Invoice sent via e-mail with hard copy included in shipment of equipment.
As far as hard copy checks are concerned, personal account could be limited to one/month; however, averages about two/month just because...........
A long way from what was done 10 years ago.
Lew
Lew
On 2/19/2011 1:42 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

If it wasn't for girl scout cookies and boy scout popcorn, I'd written less than 25 last year.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

No checks here, just cash, and not only because I like to support scouts (son made Eagle in the early 90's), but also because I like the cookies (girl scouts).
--
Best regards
Han

I remember the Burroughs name when it meant main frame computers, calculators and cash registers! Is that what the company finally settled down to become in this age? Do they make any business equipment any more?
Not really. Sperry and Burroughs merged in the 1990's or so. The new company became Unisys. Both had a flavor of Mainframe, A Series and IX Series. Both product lines are made and sold today, though mostly as virtual machines. But about 4 - 5 years ago the Unisys Payment Systems Division was made a wholly owned subsidiary, AKA Unisys Payment Systems. Last year, Feb. 2010, we got sold. We got a new name BPS. We still have the Burroughs factory in Michigan. Unisys kept the mainframes, desktop services, storage devices, high end servers business. We sell (and make a few) financial products, check sorters, safes, printers, change dispensers, etc. We are starting to branch out from financial institutions to retail side with the safes.
So for those that check their accounts on line, there is a 75% chance my sorter took the picture of the check that you wrote.
Mike in Ohio