Sliding Miter vs RAS

Getting back into woodworking after being away for several years, and straightening up my shop (2 car garage) for new tools. What seems conspicous by it's absence though, is discussions about radial arm saws. Also, shopping for them is tough. Only a couple companies offering them and even the tired/used ones on ebay are going for top dollar. Have there been so many accidents with them over the years that the manufacturers simply don't want to make them anymore ?
I got so used to using mine that it was just second nature to walk toward it for all crosscutting ops - had pretty much a whole wall dedicated to it and its associated table/fence setup. It was a staple in the shop - almost like the TS. Have the new miter saws and slide miter saws taken over ? Am I just old fashioned and been away too long ?
Understand, I have no problem spending LESS money - you seem to be able to get a top-of-the-line slide miter for 1/2 what a Delta 10" Radial Arm costs. I'd just like to know what the shortcomings are. Seems like it would be tough to do some things like trimming the rails on a frame/panel door.
Help me get with the times !
jim in orlando
Jim,
You WANT the RAS and a DeWalt model. Many available on Ebay, you can purchase a very good condition used for under $500 and do every thing from miters, to rips, to moulding, shaping, crosscuts and more.
Take a look at the Mr. Sawdust book "How To Master he Radial Saw" before you make your decision. http://mrsawdust.com /
Join us on the Radial Saw Forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/woodbutcher/start
--
Rumpty

Thanks for the input Rumpty. I'll nose around in that RAS forum you mention. Keep in mind, I will have (again that is, sold them all the first time) specific tools for the most part, for the job I'm doing. I wouldn't be using the RAS for anything but 90' crosscutting. That's why I'm wondering if a sliding miter might not be the best approach nowdays. ( e.g. face frames, door/drawer parts ) I was just trying to get a feel for why no one seems to make a RAS anymore - they used to be on every Sears floor. B&D even made one. Now I see that Sears is selling Ryobi (which Ryobi's site says is now out of production), I guess Emerson went to Ridgid - I can't even find any info on that saw. Dewalt apparently isn't making one anymore. That pretty much leaves Delta and Original as far as I can tell.
jim

SCMS won't take a dado blade nor make cuts that aren't completely through the stock and won't cut too the width a RAS will. That's about it.
Well, it won't rip cut either but ....................................
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

Jim, In last issue of WOOD I read a review on 4 Miter saw and one RAS, looked like Miter saws getting more points than RAS. In my personal opinien, if you do not have a Miter saw, get it first and then go for a RAS, I have both, but I use like 9 cut on Miter saw and maybe one on RAS.
This is my suggestion, I am sure you will get lots more reply.
Have fun and good luck
Maxen