Skill with a Skill

Page 3 of 3
Upscale wrote:

Oh, *I'm* the one getting all upset. Ok.
I haven't heard the old "I'm rubber, you're glue" in quite a few years. :-)
--

-MIKE-

:-)
In that case, I'd suggest quite strongly that your tagline is exceptionally inappropriate where you're concerned.
Upscale wrote:

Neener, neener.
--

-MIKE-

Upscale wrote:

But you risk arousing the spelling/grammar police, and there's always a few of them around. ;~)

A good predictor of that .. and, while you would appreciate the single biggest factor why this guy got the bid, many won't ... he simply asked the right questions.
Amazing the depth of knowledge that one act can reveal. :)
(I had two bids that were lower than this crew, and one higher, and the lowest $5K lower ... as you know, that's pretty damn hard to explain to a client).

Lost to the prevailing attitude that nobody but an idiot would put money into a building where it can't be seen by a buyer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Know the feeling ... having all these relatively young studs around the last couple weeks and, in my *mind's* eye, I'm still the same, so I humped a couple trusses this week, or tried to. Paying the price as we speak ... thus the margarita, in hand.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

There's still such a thing as union carpenters? I've heard of such things in myth.
nb

Unfortunately they are mostly gone! Dead, retired, working for peanuts because nobody will pay for the quality workmanship anymore! Around here it's all about the low bidder. How cheap and can I get it yesterday! Hell, The good ones show up sober and ready to work. The great ones know how to work! It doesn't take any extra time to do most things the right way. takes a helluva lot longer to fix all the f**kups. I've thought about headin your way for work but sadly I aint up to the task anymore. The old bones just dont work that way anymore. Nobody wants to hire us old farts anymore. We are dinosaurs [they say] and the wetbacks will do it so cheap that we can't compete anymore. It's a sad state of affairs for sure! Enjoy those men while ya can swingman. They are a dying breed and soon enough they will all be gone. then we be in realy deep shit!
skeez

Still keep my 77 greased and ready to kick ass. It's the 1911 of jobsite saws. I regret selling my Rockwell 315, which handled a lot of the lighter chores.
The 77 is heavy but, if you use it right, it and gravity are your friends.
Once we got the ribbons up we flopped up the joists and eyeballed the cuts, holding the 77 vertical and the joist resting on our boots. Would have made an OSHA dude crazy but it was a fast way to frame up flat work.
Regards,

Heh, heh.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Tom Watson wrote:

Heh, well put.

I noticed yesterday in a big-box store that their 77s were made in China. I wonder if some are still U.S.-made, or have they moved all their production overseas? I see quite a few on Craig's List for $80-90, some as low as $50. A 77 is on the list, I just want to find a nice clean one at the right price.
DGDevin wrote:

I've gone all this time without ever using a worm-gear saw. What are the advantages? Torque?
--

-MIKE-

Ah, let me count the ways... 1. It's HEAVY. When making a cut, inertia is your friend. 2. The blade spins slower (4400 RPM vs 5500 RPM, I think) so you get more torque out of the saw. When cutting wet wood that tries its best to bind the blade, this comes in handy. 3. The saw is looooong. When making a rip cut, a side-to-side movement of your hand to get off your chalkline is consequently larger than with a universal gear (is that what they're called?) saw. 4. Like Tom said, when resting a joist on your foot, you don't have to bend over so far. 5. You get to tell your friends, "Yeah, I had to change the oil...in my Skil saw."
I was shown the glory that is the worm-gear about 3 years ago, and I'll never have another saw. Currently, I own a Ridgid and a Skil. The Skil is considerably heavier, and I like it considerably better.
Back on-topic, I'm a (relatively) young man, and I hold the values in this thread to be of the highest, um, value. A mentor of mine had a theory--without getting too long-winded, there are 4 types of employees, all having 2 traits. High and low knowledge, and high and low motivation. Obviously, the high-skill, high-motivation employee is the most desirable, but Mr. Leavoy swore up and down all week long that he'd rather have high-motivation, low-skill employees than the other way around. In my own life, I've found that you can teach anyone to do anything, but you can't teach the "want." The person either wants to learn (or improve), or he doesn't.
BTW, it's been a long time, gentlemen. I'm glad to welcome you all back onto my computer screen. It's good to be back on the wRECk.
Phil -It's easier to believe than to decide.
DGDevin wrote:

I have a good ol' USA-made 77 in cherry shape that I could sell you at the right price, 'cept it ain't for sale. :-)