Sizing a workshop?

Canvas drop clothes work great. Durable, and you can put them on the floor for painting when you need to!

See my other post about that in this thread.

Reply to
Morgans

If your ceiling is too high to make hanging them practical, use the aluminum supports for a beach sun shade that has been abandoned, or you can use PVC pipe and fittings dry fitted (no glue) together to make a support for tarps. DO NOT use plastic sheet. Any airborn spray finish will dry on the inside of the plastic sheeting, then when the wind or your bumping the plastic causes the plastic sheeting to flex, the finish comes off the plastic in little flakes that float around the area. How do I know that? Don't ask!

Reply to
Morgans

There are a lot of good ideas here.

Another notion would be to take 4 legs of EMT, flatten one end, drill a hole for a decent bolt to fit through and then fasten the flattened ends to any rafters with the bolts and washers. You could put a canvas or plywood "roof" on the rafters between the area enclosed by the EMT legs and swing them down when you needed a contained area, hanging some canvas or cloth around the legs when extended to the floor. The canvas could be affixed a number of ways as could the legs at the floor base. When done with the work, just fold it all up.

Hey Lew, how is Cal Aero doing these days?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

------------------------- As far as I know they are still around.

Haven't been there in a couple of years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew:

According to listings, it's still there. Whenever I'm in that part of the country, it magnetizes me if I come close but, sad to say, it doesn't have as many nice surprises in the offerings since the boss got murdered.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

-------------------------

------------------------

-----------------------------

--------------------------------- Wasn't aware of the murder, but you are right.

Impossible to walk in and then try to quickly leave.

Can't do it.

Takes at least 2-3 hours to just find out what's new.

By that time your wallet is much thinner.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------ What brings you to SoCal or is it maybe Paramount?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've got some terra firma there. The boss at CA was a quite intelligent and interesting man. We got along great.

IIRC, the very personal way in which he and his wife were killed also involved the theft of critical CA business records. Though this leaves the imagination little to do in the way of fixing a suspect class, as far as I know the sad fact was no one ever went away for the crime. Sad.

Regards to you and Zamboni,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Wow! Thank you all for your input! The search for a house/workshop continues, but now I've got a better idea of what to look for. Thanks again!

Reply to
A. W. Dunstan

Add my voice to the build or find as big as you can afford. I thought my 20x20 shop was huge back when I built it and now it is full of tools with little assembly space AND I took over one stall of the 2 stall garage for sheet good storage AND I had a 12x16' barn built for my lumber storage.

As far as tools - most of my shop is Grizzly and I am completely happy with my choices. These pics are outdated - I've upgraded my Delta Drum Sander to the Grizzly version (and yes, I consider that was a huge upgrade - the Grizzly is much nicer in my opinion) and I now have 7 lithium ion cordless drills instead of any of those pictured.

And, I should add, I have enough ww mags to file for another 2 or 3 of the tall file cabinets.

Reply to
NancyKroes

Add my voice to the build or find as big as you can afford. I thought my 20x20 shop was huge back when I built it and now it is full of tools with little assembly space AND I took over one stall of the 2 stall garage for sheet good storage AND I had a 12x16' barn built for my lumber storage.

As far as tools - most of my shop is Grizzly and I am completely happy with my choices. These pics are outdated - I've upgraded my Delta Drum Sander to the Grizzly version (and yes, I consider that was a huge upgrade - the Grizzly is much nicer in my opinion) and I now have 7 lithium ion cordless drills instead of any of those pictured.

And, I should add, I have enough ww mags to file for another 2 or 3 of the tall file cabinets.

And you have a "Break Area"!

Reply to
Leon