Sizing a workshop?

Page 3 of 3

I built a spray area out of canvas type drop cloths. I staple them to the rafter, and staple a 2 x 4 to the bottom of them to hold tension on them and seal against the floor. A door can be made by overlapping two sections by a couple feet and using a separate 2 x for that part on one of the double layers. That can be a bother, and I have just been redoing my area by taking an old door, making a frame out of lumber that I can attach my cloth walls to, so I can go in and out through a real door. It is nicer, but more expensive, and takes a little more room.
One thing nobody has mentioned is the problem of paint, or other finishes or glues odors getting into the house from a basement or attached garage workshop. It is a huge problem for me, since hydrocarbons are a trigger for migraine headaches for my wife. I solved the problem by making a finish area in one corner, and use a furnace blower to pull a little negative pressure in the finish area. No smell can go against the flow of air to make it into the house, as long as the blower keeps running. I put it in a wooden box on wheels, and plumb it to the spray area by using a 12 inch flexible furnace duct going though a removable panel with a hole in the garage door. Works great. I can spray anything I want and let it dry, and she never smells the first hint. Be sure to use a squirrel cage blower, because fans do not create enough pressure differential, unless they are really screaming.
The same can work for a finish area, but there can be a variation or two. You can push fresh outside air into the area through a filter to keep outside dust out of the room, and keep dust from the shop forced out of the area, or you can pull a negative pressure in the area, as long as everything seals pretty good in the shop to spray area. You then make a restricted air intake from the shop to the finish area by using a couple hyper allergenic furnace filters so no woodworking dust gets into the finish area. This has the advantage of being heated or cooled air, if the rest of the shop has those things for it's air.
When you don't need the finish area, roll up the cloths to the ceiling and secure them with some light ropes like furling sails, or some pinch clamps to hold the roll together.
--
Jim in NC

There are a lot of good ideas here.
Another notion would be to take 4 legs of EMT, flatten one end, drill a hole for a decent bolt to fit through and then fasten the flattened ends to any rafters with the bolts and washers. You could put a canvas or plywood "roof" on the rafters between the area enclosed by the EMT legs and swing them down when you needed a contained area, hanging some canvas or cloth around the legs when extended to the floor. The canvas could be affixed a number of ways as could the legs at the floor base. When done with the work, just fold it all up.
Hey Lew, how is Cal Aero doing these days?
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

------------------------- As far as I know they are still around.
Haven't been there in a couple of years.
Lew

Lew:
According to listings, it's still there. Whenever I'm in that part of the country, it magnetizes me if I come close but, sad to say, it doesn't have as many nice surprises in the offerings since the boss got murdered.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

-------------------------
------------------------
-----------------------------
--------------------------------- Wasn't aware of the murder, but you are right.
Impossible to walk in and then try to quickly leave.
Can't do it.
Takes at least 2-3 hours to just find out what's new.
By that time your wallet is much thinner.
Lew
"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

------------------------ What brings you to SoCal or is it maybe Paramount?
Lew

I've got some terra firma there. The boss at CA was a quite intelligent and interesting man. We got along great.
IIRC, the very personal way in which he and his wife were killed also involved the theft of critical CA business records. Though this leaves the imagination little to do in the way of fixing a suspect class, as far as I know the sad fact was no one ever went away for the crime. Sad.
Regards to you and Zamboni,
Edward Hennessey

Snip
I recently upgraded to a 3 car shop and actually did the lay out on the computer. I used Sketchup with all the free importable machine components to arrange in the model of our new house/garage.
Wow! Thank you all for your input! The search for a house/workshop continues, but now I've got a better idea of what to look for. Thanks again!
--
Al Dunstan, Software Engineer
OptiMetrics, Inc.

Add my voice to the build or find as big as you can afford. I thought my 20x20 shop was huge back when I built it and now it is full of tools with little assembly space AND I took over one stall of the 2 stall garage for sheet good storage AND I had a 12x16' barn built for my lumber storage.
As far as tools - most of my shop is Grizzly and I am completely happy with my choices. These pics are outdated - I've upgraded my Delta Drum Sander to the Grizzly version (and yes, I consider that was a huge upgrade - the Grizzly is much nicer in my opinion) and I now have 7 lithium ion cordless drills instead of any of those pictured. http://homepages.wmich.edu/~kroes/shop/index.html And, I should add, I have enough ww mags to file for another 2 or 3 of the tall file cabinets.
Add my voice to the build or find as big as you can afford. I thought my 20x20 shop was huge back when I built it and now it is full of tools with little assembly space AND I took over one stall of the 2 stall garage for sheet good storage AND I had a 12x16' barn built for my lumber storage.
As far as tools - most of my shop is Grizzly and I am completely happy with my choices. These pics are outdated - I've upgraded my Delta Drum Sander to the Grizzly version (and yes, I consider that was a huge upgrade - the Grizzly is much nicer in my opinion) and I now have 7 lithium ion cordless drills instead of any of those pictured. http://homepages.wmich.edu/~kroes/shop/index.html And, I should add, I have enough ww mags to file for another 2 or 3 of the tall file cabinets.
And you have a "Break Area"!