Simpleton needs quik learnin wrt a router&table set-up (ogee w/ bearing)

I have had a little knowledge, so I pick up a product and use it, until I realize I can't anymore.

I am routing a shape to the bottom edge of some 5/8" mdf for the rim holding my plastic into a fluorescent light housing, 1/4" plywood box sides. I would use L but my ply wasn't wide enough. I am experimenting with a 1/4" beading and 1/4" roman ogee bit. Both of these have guide bearings, and the routers upside down, so the bearing is on top w/ the bit spinning counterclockwise. I have laid the mdf flat and touted a roman ogee, ok b/c the cut is on my side, and I have also tried the alternative, supporting the piece on its edge by hand pressure, cutting on my side, which gives waves b/c I can't hold it perfect, bad.

So logically I tried to set up my plastic fence, which only sets up to the rear side of the table, which means that, though precisely positioned, the cut would be also whipping the stock through at the same time as cutting. This may be called climb milling in some circles. I don't want to end up in a fight with my motor to see who can hold onto an 8' long piece of mdf. So is this safe? Or can I push from the left side of the table with this set-up?. I don't know, something is telling me things go only from right to left, for some reason.

Do I need to make my own fence and clamp it to the table on the side of the bit closest to me, and then push right to left so when the stock pushes out there is no stock to grab into? Is there any difference between this and my first idea to push left to right with the fence behind?.

Is there a way to do this with a fence?

Reply to
bent

don't everybody jump

Reply to
bent

If you're doing an "edge" you can just lay the piece flat on the table and rout away - either climbing or not. If you're doing a "face" you might be better off taking the router out of the table and taking it to the workpiece. Clamp a couple together to give yourself a wider surface upon which to sit the base of the router to prevent wobbling. Or you could build a tall fence for your router table, and set it so the bearing just barely touches the workpiece as you feed it by. Use featherboards if you've got them.

JP

************************************ I'm done jumping for the night.
Reply to
Jay Pique

ok, you're right, it probably isn't important anyway

Reply to
bent

| ok, you're right, it probably isn't important anyway

Well, if youda thought to give me a bit more warning Ida turned on the computer sooner and waited right here for your question to pop up.

But if it isn't important anyway, then I'll just go see what's in the fridge...

Morris Dovey

| well was it good?

Not bad! A big slab of colby and a dish of cranberry-orange salad. 8-)

Morris Dovey

I just had Swanson chicken fingers, and I'm opening my sixth beer.

Reply to
bent

Hope you are more discerning about your beer than you are about your food.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

This was not a trick question. Now I look like an idiot. Not only can I set it up, but I've done so in the past. That is ridiculous. I guess you were just waiting me me to figure it out. No wonder I bought that aggressive tooth handsaw

Reply to
bent