simple, cheap lumber rack

Page 2 of 3
On 9/9/2011 3:34 PM, Artemus wrote:

Spanish for "shit" is "mierda".
On 9/9/2011 3:53 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

But heard commonly by those that actually speak the language is,
No bueno por caca.

Si. Y cabeza de caca. (shit head) Art
Larry Jaques wrote:

But I like Viola better. And she happens to be American. But she is probably to old for you.
--
Gerald Ross

It's easy to be brave from a safe distance.

You're right. The Irenes, Ednas, and Violas are all too old for me. That Virginia Pippalini (Pipeline) gal is too aggressive for me.
-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

+1.
Add "try and", "there's many", "a myriad of" (vs "myriad"), "where you AT", and dozens more. Since I gave up TV, I don't hear all of these nearly as often as I used to. 'Twas a double blessing. I can't bear to listen to broadcast radio or watch broadcast tv any more because of the assinine commercials and bozo speech. No wonder the rest of the world looks down on us, if we allow that crap to fester to such a wide extent.
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

"Number 1 doctor recommended....."
-Zz
<snip> 'Twas a double blessing. I can't bear

Bbbut, two esses feeeeeeeeeeeel better.
Mizpelung noted, will assimilate.
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

I'm hearing more and more interviewees starting their sentences with "So..." when answering a question. Drives me to distraction, it does!

Or the word utilize, you can use the word "use" in every instance that you would use utilize.
And functionality.... I don't recall ever hearing that word until recently.
On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I think he was referring to a happiness term when complete.
When completed he would be as happy as pigs walla'n in mud.

<sigh> Only from a Texan (or other suthuhnah)... P.S: I thought that was "wallerin'".
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
kansascats wrote:

You're from Washington? Or, if you prefer, your from Washington?
And does grapping a bucket have anything to do with grappling hooks?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Art
"kansascats" wrote in message The advantage is that very little space is consumed. 1.5" for 2x4, and the 10, 12, or 14" of the bracket. So it fits snugly against the wall. I have a 24' x 24' shop, and again, don't often store large quantities of lumber. I'd probably have a shelf row for oak, one for maple, maybe one for walnut, and then a couple for the 2x stuff. I'd like to leave 50" clear underneath for 10 sheets of plywood I bought on-sale years ago. Yeah -- I know -- store flat -- but that's not much of an option in a shop my size. Then again, with the money I save on heating and cooling, I can just go buy new flat wood if I really need.
===============Those brackets are not worth much. They tend to suddenly let go and bend/collapse with continuous weight on them. They will not hold the weights they state for very long. I have had tools and other heavy items fall right off the shelves using them every 16".
Get some 2x4s and cut a horizontal shelf, fasten on top of a vertical wall plate 2x4 and miter a 45 degree rib at turned on it's edge. Good quickie project for your miter saw. Fasten all with some deck screws and place one about every 16" - 2 feet, depending on your lumber stiffness, length and how deep you want the horizontal support and your stud spacing underneath them to support them.
Give a quick sand and prime/paint if you want them to look pretty.
--
Eric

For lumber racks, unistrut can't be beat. Cuts with a hacksaw and plenty of fittings are available. Three 8' verticals lagged to the studwall; use steel L's[*] with 1/2" bolts and strut-nuts to add 16" horizontal arms cut from the unistrut.
scott
[*] such as unistrut p1026 or p1325 or p1290. The 1290 bracket will bear a heck of a lot more than 100#.
On 9/11/2011 4:55 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote: ...

Other than cost...the single bracket is about $15/ea...w/o the unistrut and associated hardware. It's good, but not inexpensive.
In the barn I took a bunch of old angle and some plate and welded up some gussets to do same thing of scrap on hand. At cost of even used steel these days, even that would add up quickly if had to buy the material. Of course, even the lumber route these days ain't exactly free... :(

Art
On Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:14:15 PM UTC-7, kansascats wrote:

Firstly, to keep boards straight, stickering at about every 18" is recommended: that suggests you'll want to have five+ supports under a stack of (for instance) 8' boards.
Secondly, this is steel, right? So if there's any condensation, it makes rust stains or maybe black marks (in oak).
Third, it's possibly expensive. It's odd how a wire shelf system has inexpensive shelves, and all the other parts are stratospheric in price, completely dominating the total cost.
Last, the L-brackets I'm familiar with need screws to hold 'em up; even if the bracket holds 100#, what is the reliability of a screw or three? I'm in earthquake territory, it'd be a comfort to see lots of wood/wood surface contact, like a mortise or through tenons, holding the load. You can make a pretty good L bracket with 1x2 ribs and a glued-in triangle of plywood for the web.