Silicon spray on Table saw blade

Has anyone tried silicon spray on a table saw blade, to reduce power requirement?

Walter H. Klaus

Reply to
Walter H. Klaus

It's not a good idea to have silicone around wood work, it will make problems with your finish. Johnson's wax will help. I put it on my band saw blade and it quiets it down. Johnson's wax has no silicone in it.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Silicone will get onto the wood and finishes won't take

A properly aligned saw with carbide blade will not be helped with lubricant. The tips are wider than the blade so there should be no contact aside from the tooth. Still blades may rub but they are not the best blade to use anyway.

Upgrade to a better saw and you'll be much happier.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Silicone and woodworking do not mix. Don't get silicone anywhere near anything used to work with wood. Plays Hell with both finishing and adhesive bonding, and the stuff is almost impossible to remove once applied.

I've had good results from sawing through a piece of UHMW polyethylene (wasn't looking for improved cutting, my objective was to cut the polyethylene).

There are purpose-made lubricants.

is one example,
is another.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Silicon will NOT go away. It may become too spread out to matter, but will not leave.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

"Walter H. Klaus" wrote

Since you were unaware of the dangers of silicone in a woodshop, you may also be unaware of a product called "TopCote":

really you feel the need to lubricate your table saw blade, TopCote will do the job without danger to any future film finishes applied to your projects.

Reply to
Swingman

TopCote's sister, DriCote, is designed specifically for cutting edges.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I could well be wrong, but I've suspected that the difference may actually be more "marketing", than performance, in practical usage. IOW, the old "change the proportions slightly/add solvent/target a different market" ploy?

In any event, my use of both, admittedly in non-scientific, everyday, practical usage, as well as their respective MSDS sheets, has reinforced my decision to buy only one product, with basically identical results. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Have any of U used a product called SlipIt? It comes in a quart sized paint can. I use it and haven't had any problems with it. It makes my saws cast iron table top slick and wood moves easily with no resistance.

Reply to
Joe

I LIKE Waxilit, but haven't tried SlipIt. Where do you get it?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Woodcraft has it. I think it's 13.95 a quart.

Reply to
Joe

From the response I think you get the point. NO No no NO NOOOO!

Stu

Reply to
stu

From Mr. SlipIt (Matt Ritter) of course:

Matt Ritter SLIPIT Industries, Inc.

800-303-0034
know what happened to the Google archives for rec.woodworking? An advanced Google search for the "never ending" SlipIt thread of about 10 years ago only turns up two messages for the entire thread.

Nova

I haven't tried it. How do you apply and does it dry quickly?

It looks like the price is right if it works well.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Wow. A can of Johnson's Paste Wax is about 6.95, and is good for years.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have seen it at Home Depot, near the lubricants section, WD40, White Lithium Grease, 3 in 1 oil and so on. IIRC it comes in a round metal container with a pry off lid very similar in shape to Johnson's Paste Wax,

Reply to
Leon

Yeah but Johnson's paste wax is about the least effective product that I have used for rust prevention and or slicking up the surface.

Reply to
Leon

I have a Harbor Fright spray can that you pressurize with the air hose. In it I use paraffin wax dissolved in mineral spirits. Just spritz a little on and rub it in with a paper towel. For stained areas I rub it with a green scuffing pad then wipe off. This seems to help prevent rust and makes the surface slippery. It also helps on lathe ways and vise screws and doesn't catch dust. Good to dip wood screw threads in (and allow to dry, not to use wet).

Reply to
Gerald Ross

It works great for me -- but if I recall correctly, you live in the Houston area, which is a *lot* more humid than where I live (Indianapolis). I'm sure that makes a difference. Another thing that might be a factor is the location of the shop. I don't recall if you've ever mentioned where yours is; mine is in the basement of my house, so it's climate-controlled year-round. I run dehumidifiers constantly, too.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If you REALLY need to lubricate your table saw blade, you probably need a better table saw. There is no substitute for horsepower.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski