Siezed Up Bolts

Page 2 of 2
Hehehe.
Thank you EVERYONE for the kind welcome. I look forward to communicating with all of you on my future difficulties and what not.
Thank you for the advice, I actually decided to just split the piece of wood off (The bolts where holding on one of the legs), remove the bolt, and saw down the leg. In the end, I only lost about 1.5' off the height.
Thanks!
Aaron
http://www.newlinemagic.com
"The Impossible Made Possible."

And thank you for takng the ribbing.
Aaron Fagan wrote:

Now you'll need to find a new assistant who's 1.5' shorter too.
Aaron Fagan wrote:

excess length.     j4

A cheater bar usually works good for me. Slip a bit of pipe over your wrench, and use the extra leverage to torque the sucker off. That's assuming you don't want to go the hacksaw route.

Grasp Magic Wand firmly in left hand. Twirl slowly three times, counterclockwise. Say "Ala-ka-zaaaaaaaaaam!" real loud.
That should do it!
Oh wait - maybe that's the one for "rabbets".
I have had the exact same thing happen with 3/8 inch stainless steel bolts and plastic insert locknuts. The way to prevent this is to lubricate the threads of the stainless with NEVERSIEZE. In a pinch, I suspect that almost any grease would allow you to assemble the pieces smoothly. Dave

Fri, Oct 1, 2004, 5:45pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (AaronFagan) claims: <snip> I started to take the nut off to replace it with the properlength of bolt. Long story made short, after lots of heaving, sore knuckles, and a can or two of WD-40 later, the nut will not move at all! What should I do to remove this?
Well, you sure fooled me.
I must be missing something. I read your post. I read a batch of the replies. Cut the bolt?
The part about "sore knuckles" makes me think you were trying to unscrew it using your fingers.
I've never had any problems taking one off. Just use a wrench on the bolt head, and another wrench to take the nut off. Then substitute a shorter bolt, and you should be able to reuse the nut - providing it is the proer size for the bolt.
Lost your magic stick, eh?
"The possible made impossible."
JOAT We will never have great leaders as long as we mistake education for intelligence, ambition for ability, and lack of transgression for integrity. - Unknown
It happened to me too when trying to replace my car muffler. It was a tight spot so I used a new hacksaw blade to cut off the bolts. New bolts are inexpensive.

Seized bolts? Hell...you ought to wrestle with seized spark plugs!
Possibly a boring story-but I'm tellin' it.
I had this '87 Maxima to which I naively assumed the plugs would last 100K. Around 65K, I knew I "needed" to replace them - Sunday afternoon of course. Got out all my craftsmen sockets & sure enough, 3 (of 6) broke off - right in half.
S--t! Aluminum heads too.
Can't get too aggressive. Got me the biggest flathead in my arsenal and tapped it down, gently into the first plug - you know, the cavity around the ceramic center. Clamped my big pipe clamp to the handle. Tapped down, tapped on the side, sprayed with WD-40 - repeat a few times & spray the ones to come. Wait 30 min. Repeat for about 3-4 hours - got to drive to work tomorrow!
Couldn't believe it when I got them out - with a lot af bruises & cuts, but it taught me a lesson about persrverence (sp)!
Anyhow, they eventually all came out and the new ones slid in real fine. But I swore then never to change my own plugs again - or if I do, stick to 25K miles or so.
15 years later (and retired) I find myself doing more of my own car maintenance again. Back to doing my own oil/filter (hate waiting 2 hours at the fast lube place for something that takes me 15 min).
Not WW, but FWIW!
Lou
loutent said:

Ah, forgot the anti-seize, eh? Had to remove a head on a car bought at auction because of that - and it *never* came out. FWIW,
Greg G.

"It's levi-OH-sah, not levi-o-SAH." :)