Shop Made Zero Clearance Insert

Page 1 of 2
These are very easy to make.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadiddle/ZeroClearanceInsert #
--

-MIKE-

Very cool Mike...
I may have to make on with the splitter although I use a similar removable splitter now. Might I suggest a slightly easier way to do the leveling screws? Use small 3/8" screws on the bottom side. A touch longer to adjust the first time but you have no holes on top to catch or fill with debris.
On 3/20/10 1:28 PM, Leon wrote:

Yes, I do see it taking longer to pop it in and out several times to adjust the first time, but I like the idea of a clean top side.
I'm going to try a DIY "Tru-Cut Insert System" that has the rectangular sub-inserts. The extra time needed to adjust the master insert wouldn't even be an issue, since it would be semi-permanent.
I also have an idea for swappable splitters, using pins/screws that go in from the edge of the insert, parallel to the top.
--

-MIKE-

I forgot to add, I added a "finger" if you will to the bottom back side of the insert that goes up under the table top. This absolutely insures that the back side of the blade does not lift up the back aide of the insert.

Actually I made several of these inserts for my commonly used dado width combinations, 4 IIRC. I bet I did not spend 5 minutes total adjusting all of them. That really is not a factor.
On 3/20/10 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:

Yes, I used a finish screw for that.
--

-MIKE-

I saw a screw in the end of the insert and some of my inserts have that. I added a finger under the insert that extends beyond the end so that it goes under the TS top in the blck.
On 3/20/10 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:

Now I need a picture.
--

-MIKE-

getting UL approval - without which you WILL have insurance problems.
A Zero Clearance unit will be significantly more difficult than a freestanding unit.
On 3/20/2010 9:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wrong thread? The OP provided:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadiddle/ZeroClearanceInsert #
It doesn't /look/ like a fireplace... ;-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 3/20/10 9:25 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Look again, Mo. :-)
(I *almost* replaced them all, just to f#@k with you.)
--

-MIKE-

Hey, those are my past attempts at zero clearance inserts there!
I borrowed a jigsaw and traced, cut, and sanded my way to two zero clearance inserts that fit nicely. I'll probably add the splitter to one when I go to use it.
They're not hard to make, especially with a Bosch jigsaw. I only used the jigsaw twice, and miss it.
Puckdropper

On 3/20/10 9:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Oh Lord, this made my day! It's taking me forever just to type this from laughing so hard!
--

-MIKE-

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:10:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Gee - I feel stupid now. I didn't see any of the previous posts on the subject and just ASS umed. The "blade" should have caught my attention - - - - - - - - - .
Somebody wrote:

A piece of oak/maple 3/8" wide X 3/8" high, 2-3" long, projecting out the back of the insert about 3/8", works for me.
Lew

See my "Ping Mike" picture links.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:10:31 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:34:48 -0400, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

For that assumption to have been even slightly possible, you must have thought you were replying on rec.crafts.metalworking, clare. ;)
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:27:33 -0700, Larry Jaques

I'll just shut up!!
On 3/21/10 3:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'll let you off the hook far sooner than the guy who replied to you to debate your point.
wow.
--

-MIKE-