SHOP FOX OSCILLATING DRILL PRESS

Anyone have experience with a Shop Fox oscillating drill press? Curious as to how they work? They have a hole in the table for the sanding drum and tube for dust pickup. Wonder how far the drum travels up and down and wonder if they have a tapered shank drill chuck and if so do they have any problems keeping the chuck in place? Two dealers in Ohio can order them but don't have any answers. Has anyone built their own vertical drum sander? Bill

Reply to
BT98

I guess this is not a very promising tool. It sounds interesting.

Reply to
BT98

Last November I visited the Grizzly showroom in PA to buy a drill press for my son. I bought the 14" benchtop model (G7943) because that's what fitted his needs and my budget. I was very favorably impressed with that unit.

At the time of that purchase, the floor salesman pointed out the Shop Fox model with the oscillating head. It seemed very close in design and construction to the Grizzly I mentioned, i.e. fit and finish looked good to me. Also, it included a dust collecting shroud for the sanding drum feature.

The cost was higher and the oscillating feature was a complexity that I didn't feel we needed. If the oscillating feature is attractive to you, you probably would do OK buying it. I couldn't fault the idea but I sorta felt that a "back to basics" approach was best for us.

Good luck,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt