shocking dewalt planner

I have a new Dewalt dw735 portable planner that replaced a delta 22-560. Problem is every time I run a board threw and I touch the dust collector hoses (wire reinforced urethane) or the folding tables I get a shock. The dust collector is a 1.5 grizzly with a metal trash can separator and the pipes are spiral galvanized steel. I called Dewalt but they had never heard of this happening before (but then they never hear of anything).Have any of you guys run into this?

Len

Reply to
tax.consultant

That would be static electricity. Ground that wire in the wire reinforced hose.

Reply to
Leon

" snipped-for-privacy@teranews.com" wrote in news:FPpPq.45537$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

I have the same planer with the same static buildup. None of my other tools have the problem but the dust collector hose connected to that planer will put a charge into you. I've touched 110v wires that shocked me less. My solution is to not touch the hose.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Yep, static. The trash separator is breaking the circuit somewhere so it can't dissipate. Run a bare copper wire from the planer to the trash can and one from the can to the exit pipe so the path is complete. I could light a cigarette off the sparks I got from my 15" griz planer attached to my 3hp DC. I use flexible plastic pipe and ridgid PVC. My pvc has aluminum tape along it's length and I use some bare copper wire to wrap from the tape around the flex pipe and attached to the machine.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

" snipped-for-privacy@teranews.com" wrote in news:FPpPq.45537$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

Sounds like static... I solved my problem by wrapping a wire around the output hose and stripping an end and attaching it to the base of the planer. Sounds like you've already got a wire wrapped around your hose, maybe you should attach it to a good ground point.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

" snipped-for-privacy@teranews.com" wrote in news:FPpPq.45537$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

Absolutely. I have a 735 also, and if the dust collection hose isn't grounded, I get hellacious painful static shocks from it. I'm sure that's all you're experiencing. I concur with the advice you've received from several other people to ground the reinforcing wire in the hose.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If they don't know about static with dust collection (all those moving dust particles in the hose) then they don't know much about the equipment they sell. You'd think their knowledge database would help with this, but hah! it depends on what search terms they type in.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Whoever Len talked to at DeWalt should be reported and then fired. No one should be that ignorant of the possible facts to check out. Also the OP has been told how to handle the situation.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne