Shipping saw from Quebec to Niagara Falls, Ontario??

Does anyone have any idea as to the best way to ship a 300lb+ table saw from Quebec to southern Ontario? The best so far that I could find was Yellow Freight and they want over $300 plus they will only deliver it to the US and then I get dinged for duty.

There must be a cartage co. that would tuck my saw with another shipment for some extra cash. Does anyone have any ideas? The rail companies couldn't help (CN, Via).

Thanks in advance, Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

How about a local car/truck rental place that has a customer going to the Falls ? or returning a truck ? For a few bucks you might get it there no problem.

hth

jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

Find a trucker that's heading that way with some extra room. He'd be willing to make some extra bux I'm sure. I used to do it when I ran OTR. Only trouble would be offloading it, if it was not at a dock of sorts. MHO

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Try one of your small local 1-man 1-truck outfits. I'm sure they could do it for a lot less than $300. If i was your neighbor i would do it for a lot less than that! Ken in NS

Reply to
ken

For a two-day round trip? - less than $300 is cheap! You could do it in one day, but you'd be wasted. Five hours drive each way, plus load/unload time... Only a one-way company could do it cheap.

Yer obviously a bluenose - no one in southern Ontario would be that neighbourly :-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Yes i would be neighborly, my mother lives in Elora. What an excuse to visit home. That reminds me of when my sister and b-in-law visited from Elora. They just couldn't get over how friendly and polite people were down here. Ken, proud to be a Bluenoser in NS Ken

Reply to
ken

Check with local moving companies like United Van Lines - they're nationals and can check with their eastern offices for the next load going through Quebec and coming to the peninsula. They will usually have some extra space and like to fill it up.

John

The Good Bohemian wrote:

Reply to
John848

Contact FedEx Freight. UPS doesn't handle 300-pound shipments, and they charge more for broker fees through Canadian Customs. You may need to use a local firm that does business with FedEx if you don't have your own business.

FedEx Freight is set up specially to handle this sort of situation for businesses that don't do large-volume truck shipments.

CE

The Good Bohemian wrote:

Reply to
Clarke Echols