Shipping from US to Canada

Don't own a car. While I do have a driver's licence, rental, gas, and travel time is just too much hassle. I can put the several hours it would take for travel time into doing my regular job and more than make up the money.
A while back when they were trying to organize the speedy cross Lake Ontario boat service that was going to run between Toronto and Buffalo, I would have used it for this exact purpose. But, it never came to be. Too bad.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Avoid UPS and FedEx, they will nail you on brokerage fees.
I recommend USPS, or DHL. Used both but admittedly on much smaller items with no problem, and either reasonable, or no fees.
--
Froz...

Add pictures here
✖

You have to be specific. If you have it shipped by the cheapest ground route, you will pay excessively for brokerage. If you choose next day air, the fee is expensive but includes brokerage (check their websites) and will often be the fastest and cheapest method overall. The USPS is still the cheapest but slowest route, normally $5.00 CDN for brokerage, sometimes up to $7.00 CDN for higher value shipments. You will still be dinged for taxes and possibly some duty. Believe me, I have done a lot of importing and know the ropes.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:19:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

generally have it shipped USPS - cost you something like $5 plus GST (on the purchace price)
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 8, 5:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Also Brown's idea of an exchange rate is insane.
Add pictures here
✖

I have never had a problem with the exchange rate. In theory it is supposed to be the actual Bank of Canada official exchange rate for the date stated on the Commercial Invoice, not on the date it was imported or brokered.
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/09/2009 04:39 PM, EXT wrote:

Really? I've never gotten the "official" exchange rate from anyone. They always take a percentage.
Chris
Add pictures here
✖

You get pretty close with most credit cards IME. But never, ever exchange your money at the front desk of your hotel. You're far better off to find a bank.
Add pictures here
✖

I do a fair bit of business across the river between my home and Port Huron Michigan. The exchange rate Brown uses to calculate fees and rates is always worse than the exchange one gets from either a credit card or a bank.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:33:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

"Brown" is a crook.
Add pictures here
✖