Shellac question

Greetings All, I applied two coats of shellac to some cherry trim I installed on a kitchen soffit. The face I put the shellac on is vertical and the shellac isn't as smooth as I expected. It looks as if the shellac ran a little, but the are no definite drips, just a little saggy in places. Question is, how do I smooth out a shellaced surface? If I sand, the finish (btw, it's orange shellac) will be lighter wherever I sanded. Would a rubbing compound with Scotchbrite work? Or any other ideas from the Oracle??? Thanks, Mark

220 or 320 grit wet/dry would work, lubricated with mineral spirits. Then wipe another light coat of shellac over it, to even things out.
That's one of the reasons we use shellac!
Patriarch
try rubbing the whole thing with Bear-Tex check it out on the web ross www.highislandexport.com

To level, use sandpaper and a backing. Flexible abrasives will give you smooth, but not level.
I use a rag for shellac, and thin coats. Works fine.
George wrote:

That's the way to do it. I'd advise the OP to sand off the current "saggy finish and start over the right way.
-- It's turtles, all the way down