Shellac over pigmented wax?

Hello,
I'm building an end table for SWMBO's brother-in-law for Christmas (yeah, I'm a little behind schedule, but SWMBO suggested it on 12/15 and I wasn't done with my other stuff yet so I gave them an "artist's rendering" until I could get to it).
Anyway, the rest of their furniture is heavy (8/4 tops) duty pine with what looks like a pigmented wax finish. I don't really like it but they love it. I noticed their dining room table is losing a lot of the color where they wipe it off when done. Which makes sense since wax isn't a film finish or anything.
I found a colored wax that will match their furniture (tried it on some scraps) but I was wondering if I could protect it a little bit by brushing (or wiping) on some super blonde shellac (Zinsers Seal Coat) over the top? Would that work? Or would the wax actually prevent a good adhesion for the shellac?
Thanks, Mike
| | Or would the wax actually prevent a good adhesion for the | shellac?
That's my guess. I haven't tried it, but wax is generally what you use when you don't want something to stick to the thing you've waxed.
--Jay
Or would the wax actually prevent a good adhesion for the

Yes. Shellac adheres well to just about anything but wax.

I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone know first hand if shellac does or does not adhere to melamine?
Thanks, Harry
Ok, so that answers my first question (which is what I was afraid of). Now for the follow up:
If I want a little protection that will be provided by the shellac, what will happen if I put the shellac on first, then the colored wax? Will the pigment stay on the shellac or should I just bag it all together and just put the wax on.
Oh, and if anyone knows of a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to attempt, I'm all ears.
Thanks, Mike