Shelf span

I'm building a hanging bookshelf out of 3/4 birch plywood.
My shelf depth is almost 12" and the width is about 33". I'm also glueing and nailing 1x2 poplar strips on the front to make the shelves look a little beefier and to make them more sturdy. Is this enough to keep them from sagging?
I also plan on nailing on the backing directly into the backs of the shelves just for a litlre mor hold.
Thanks

Depends on what you want to put on the shelves. For books, I think 3/4" will be adequate for a 33" span.
If you are using a 1x2 in front, as long as it is standing on its shorter edge, it will help add to the capacity. Apart from giving you some shear resistance, I doubt nailing the backing will do anything to improve loading.

Depends on what you want to put on the shelves. For books, I think 3/4" will be adequate for a 33" span.
If you are using a 1x2 in front, as long as it is standing on its shorter edge, it will help add to the capacity. Apart from giving you some shear resistance, I doubt nailing the backing will do anything to improve loading.
Come on this is too easy.
Try http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm
I can't believe of all the times I've seen this link posted, this time I get to post it.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

You got here about 30 minutes ahead of me. :-)
Bill
rascal less in the world.

I made a top for a built in desk about 30 years ago which featured the same basic design. However, the span on mine is 48 inches. The top is very solid indeed. The 1/4 inch backing is very strong in the vertical direction. So, I doubt that you will have trouble. Jim