Shelf Brackets for Medicine Cabinet

I want to build a medicine cabinet using melamine for the internal box and glass shelves, but have been unable to find brackets to hold the shelves. Due to space restrictions, I need to minimize the size, so the small metal clips that are used in the metal commercial models would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Reply to
John B

Check out the glass cutting places . They have interesting hardware. Pete

Reply to
cselby

1/4 inch dados. No brackets or standards needed.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf

How would you finish the inside of the dado to prevent the particle board from crumbling, and make it look right?

Reply to
John B

Hey John - just saw this thread for the first time today. I can't believe you can't find shelf standards, pegs, etc. that are common shelf hardware. They are all over. Look at Lowes or Home Depot, or Ace, or ..., or...

With regard to routing in dados - use a nice sharp bit.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

My medicine cabinet has glass shelves, but it is made from wood and it is painted. I suppose if the color was a problem or you were really worried about the structural integrity of the slot, you might make the dado a bit wider and then inlay a strip of plastic.

Another alternative that might work would be to get some 1/4 Plexiglas rod, and run two of these as supports under the glass shelves.

You could also use metal. Buy a 6 inch length of 1/4" stainless steel rod, and cut it into 3/4 long pins. Chuck the pins into your drill press and dress and polish one end of each pin. Dowel pins would work (and are cheap) but would eventually rust.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

John B wrote: : I want to build a medicine cabinet using melamine for the internal box and : glass shelves, but have been unable to find brackets to hold the shelves. : Due to space restrictions, I need to minimize the size, so the small metal : clips that are used in the metal commercial models would be ideal. Any : suggestions?

I built one six or so years ago, and used metal shelf pegs I got at Woodcraft or lee Valley. They have a flat on the part that goes under the shelf, and work fine.

?familyid=1080 -- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Don't use particle board, use Valchromat instead. It's a high resin content pre-coloured MDF. Looks as good on a cut edge as it does on a sheet. Wax polishes well and also resists bathroom levels of moisture.

Andy Dingley