Shed foundation quandary

If there's enough loose, porous fill underneath, you will get just what you describe and everything's fine. In fact, for a small shed it's probably *better* than digging post holes. Posts in the ground can be lifted by freeze and next thing you know, your sheds un-level.

If water freezes in a loose fill pad and raises the shed a bit, it falls back down after the thaw.

[Mike, ignore any email reply you may get from me. I hit the wrong button.]
Reply to
-MIKE-

I built my first shed, 10x12, sunk PT posts into pea gravel 12". It easily withstood a hurricane with no leaks.

New house and I let TuffShed build one this time. 8x14. I very much like this size more than the 10x12. It sets on top of concrete blocks and has a galvanized steel foundation. It can be anchored down if necessary. I paid about $3600 installed and two coats of paint with a

10 year warranty.

I would never go the expense of a concrete foundation.

Reply to
Leon

things in other parts of the country.

I live in Northern California, 45 miles north of the Golden Gate. No frost level to speak of.

The quote came from the contractor who built my house over 10 years ago. He 's a wonderful guy and he explained the work that needed to be done to pour the slab. I have a sloping property and he was going to have to mitigate a ny water that might surround the slab. The way he described it, it sounded like a lot of work, but at $3k, I skipped it and went looking for piers. He told me that to put his crew on site is $1k per day and my slab would roug hly be 3 days. I suspect that he might only needed two days, but this was a guess.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

First thing of importance is any local requirements. Secondly if not on a slab it's good to have it up to where you have access if needed. Sono tubes can be a good way to go and are easy depending on what your frost level is. Helping the neighbor put in a 14 x 20 shed right now where we have 5' drop over the 14'. I have an excavator so it's working out with lots of big rocks available to build retaining walls. But there was the adventure when the ground gave way and I slipped down the side of a rock. Your talking two old guys looking at each other with big moon eyes as I wondered if I was going over, and he wondered if it was on him. Learned to wear the seat belt when the unknown can happen so all was well.

Reply to
Mike M

You have to remember everything a good contractor brings to your house. Good insurance, a permit, and all the paperwork is in order. In most states he incurs all the liability for an injury one of his workers might have. You get to sit on the deck relaxing and get a quality job. Thank your government leaders tha he can't compete with you and your friend bubba to build your shed.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M