Sharpeninh hollow chisel mortise chisels

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:02:48 -0800 (PST), pat snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

I do! I will, and thanks!

Ed, I'm glad you mentioned Brian. He's helped me with my mortiser and provided me with a copy of his article. Brian sold me a set of conical sharpening stones for my chisels and prefers using those to the sharpening devices sold by the other dealers. I've used them with great results. Brian said that the other sharpening tools are best used for reshaping the mouth of the chisel after it has been sharpened numerous times with the stones. Marc
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

When I was looking for a chisel and bit mortising machine it came down to the PM 719A and the General International 75-075. Went with the General becuase it had a tilting head and the fence could be rotated to 30 degrees. I wish the General had the quick release for the hold down/hold in.

One of these "cone" sharpeners has a cylindrical "finger" on the end of the cone to align it to the inside of the chisel - avoiding the chance of tilting and sharpening asymetricly. Not really a big deal but . . .

Yes - the LV cones (two, one for bigger chisels and one for smaller ones) Work fine. It's the OUTSIDE of the chisel that can make cutting - and extracting - the chisel harder. POLISH - don't grind the outside faces.