RE: Imperial Measure Mortise Chisels

Received the chisels (manufactured by MHG Messerschmidt from Hartsville Tools) today. The chisels are " hefty" to say the least, kinda massive in fact compared to my one Sorby 1/2 nominal mortise chisel. Some effort had been made to remove tooling marks from the backs and to hone the edges, but more work needed by yours truly to get them glassy.

Originally question - Are they truly Imperial measure? By my (DI, Starrett, .001") caliper (I do not have a mic):

3/16 .1871 1/4 .2500 3/8 .3748 1/2 .4983 5/8 .6321

I think they're true Imperial measure.

Responding, as requested, before 10 Jan 2006, when they go off sale.

Regards.

Tom

Or I know there are some who will find this question anal, and hell...I'm not sure I'm not one of them myself.

I would like to acquire a good set of mortise chisels, but so far every one I've found is sold as both metric and imperial.

Yes, they may market their chisels as imperial, but they are marked metric as well, and a set of calipers says they actually _measure_ metrically.

Anyone who has any Robert Sorby chisels knows what I'm talking about.

Is there anyone out there who sells a registered 1/2" mortise chisel that measures 12.7 mm? Or heaven forbid a 3/8" that measures 9.53 mm?

TIA.

Tom Banes wrote:

I took advantage of the HT special on the mortise chisels. Wil advise > on what I find when they arrive. > > Regards. >

GREAT! Try to let us know Before January 10th! :o)

Reply to
Tom Banes