Neanders - Klausz mortise chisel?

Have any of you beveled the sides of your mortise chisels as Frank Klausz recommends? If so, how did it work out? Did you draw file the sides or use some other method of working the metal?

It is difficult to not believe him when I view his video. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I would never do that. I have put a few miles on my favorite mortise chisel and I find that the straight sides help me keep the mortise walls clean and straight. I can cut a mortise so clean and fast with it I just can't see how beveling the sides would help (assuming you mean the steel - I have the video but I haven't seen it in a while). I also have an old one(Marples, I think) that does have beveled sides and the damn thing tends to wander all over for me). If you mean flattening the sides of the handle - definitely. It provides a subconscious alignment aid to help you keep the mortise straight. YMMV

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Thanks for the response. The flattening the sides of the handle really makes sense.

definitely.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

"Lowell Holmes" wrote

: Have any of you beveled the sides of your mortise chisels as Frank Klausz : recommends?

On my web site is a discussion about this point. Please look under 'Mortising by Hand' - 'Finish of Chisel Walls'.

In brief, to use such a chisel, as it penetrates it needs to move along the mortise in a direction away from the bevel.

: Did you draw file the sides or use some other method of working the metal?

Depending on the hardness of the chisel's temper, this might be difficult, and is likely to prematurely wear the file.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

...yer welcome.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Thanks for the response. I learned from Paul Sellers at Homestead Heritage. He uses blue handled Marple bench chisels. I built a rocking chair there using the Marples. I suppose the whole discussion is somewhat academic in nature.

OBTW, the chair had 42 m&t joints. It really wasn't that much work. I will say that the LN Independence back saw and the LN 140 skewed plane (my own tools) were a big help.

How's that for a drive-by? ;~)

I suspected as much.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes