sharpening on belt sander

Does anybody have experience sharpening (knives, plane irons) on a stationary belt sander? I just found a source for 300 and 800 grit belts and I thought it might work well though I understand I'll need to try to estimate the blade angle and hold it by hand. Thanks much.

---> Ed

Reply to
Ed Lowenstein

Works for my lawnmower blade.

For a precision tool, it can probably be made to work, but easy for an"oops" also. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I use a floor edger for my rough chisels. I use 100 grit. Eyeball the angle, a little on the backside too. I don't think 800 grit is going to last long against metal.

Reply to
MSH

Haven't tried it myself, but look at FWW October 2003, page 15-16. This technique was described in Methods of Work, with a drawing of a jig to make it easier.

David

Ed Lowenste> Does anybody have experience sharpening (knives, plane irons) on a

Reply to
David Shapiro

snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Ed Lowenstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I tried it a couple of times, with poor results. I think the problem is that the belt isn't a rigid surface, but instead can flex a bit just past the edge of the (chisel, in my case) being sharpened. This lead to more work than I expected on the stones. YMMV.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I am assuming it is a regular 1x30 or 1x42 sander, Lee Valley Tools

15 micron grit belts, supposedly equivalent to 1000x Japanese waterstone. I've tried it, gives reasonably sharp edge on my chisels.

Reply to
Kelly Shamash

They also have a leather belt and green honing compound ( 0.5µ ). I regularly use the 15µ belt and leather belt for sharpening and honing knives. You can set a steady rest at 25° or whatever angle and do a good job if you have a steady hand.

sells 15 micron grit belts, supposedly equivalent to 1000x Japanese

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Preferred by cutlers.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

It's not pretty, but it'll work in a pinch.

Keep the sparks out of the dust bag / collector.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

you can use it to grind but belt sanders are just not accurate enough for the final grits. You have to have a platten that is flat and accurate under the belt. that helps a lot. but you can't really freehand them on a belt sander. I can freehand grind on my makita and sharpen freehand. but when I need to grind a regular plane iron I use a tool rest.

Reply to
Steve Knight