Shaper spindles

I recently purchased a used shaper without spindles. Right now it is a glorified router table (it does have the router spindle). It is a 3 horse Delta that is about 10 years old and I was wondering where would be the best place to find a 1/2" and 3/4" spindle for the machine. Any help would be appreciated...used spindles would work good. Thanks!

Reply to
Jon Dough

's such an important part of the machine it pays to get the original.

PS -Don't bother with the 1/2" unless you've got a _lot_ of 1/2 cutters. Most places only carry HSS in 1/2.

Reply to
George

Ummmm... Delta? They stock a lot of parts for their old machines. If you haven't checked with them, it's worth a try.

Doug Miller

Get it from Delta. I would get the 3/4" spindle. Most cutters are available in 3/4". And if it is only available in 1 1/4", you can bush it down.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I was hoping someone here would say they had an extra spindle or two. The machine I bought is in good shape but in the process of selling the machines from the estate the spindles for my shaper got packaged with a lathe, so the fellow I bought the shaper from thought. If I can't find a used one I will definitely buy a 1/2" spindle. Delta still has them available. I have a bunch of cutters that are 1/2 and have bushings for the ones with 3/4 arbors. I don't plan on running 1 or 1 1/4 inch cutters. Most of what I build now is custom or one off parts. I may do a few raised panel doors but I doubt that I will do too many. Besides, large cutters are noisy and scare the neighbors...they might think I am building a jet engine in the garage or something. : )

Reply to
Jon Dough