Mower Deck Spindles

Hi all,

I have a Poulan riding mower with a 42" deck. I have used it for 6 or 7 seasons. One of the idler pulleys on the deck shelled out, and that got me to wondering about the bearings and spindles that run the blades. The spindle housings have no zerks on them. Should I tear the spindles down and re-pack the bearings? What do people usually do for maintenance on these?

Thanks!

Reply to
J.A.Michel

They are sealed bearings, and the usual service is to press out the old ones and press in new ones (depending on design). Easiest way to handle this is remove assembly and take it to the service shop where they will have a press and the fixtures to do it without damage to the housings. Of course if you have a lathe to make make fixtures and a press, do it yourself.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

They are sealed bearings, and the usual service is to press out the old ones and press in new ones (depending on design). Easiest way to handle this is remove assembly and take it to the service shop where they will have a press and the fixtures to do it without damage to the housings. Of course if you have a lathe to make make fixtures and a press, do it yourself.

Joe

Thanks, Joe!

I took the spindles apart, and the top bearing is not pressed and removes easily. The bottom bearing is not pressed into the housing, but it is pressed on the shaft. Looking on the Poulan parts website, they do no sell the bottom bearing by itself, only as a assembly with the shaft and bearing. I'll run the shafts to town and see if they can press new bearings onto them. Seems a waste to toss a perfectly good shaft just because the bearing needs replacing.

Thanks!!

Reply to
J.A.Michel