Mower deck Q

Does this NG have an FAQ? This is probably a question asked too often but please forgive mine ;-) I do not post nor read this group but have received muchly appreciated answers to questions in the past from other general interest questions. I have also donated answers to questions on this cyber format. I have owned a few riding garden tractors with wide swath cutting decks. I have just purchased a new one and was wondering if there is something that can be done to reduce or eliminate the clumping or attaching of clippings to the cavity side of the deck? I was hoping that as the deck is brand new and shiny a spray-on or paint-on treatment could be applied. Is there a bristle devise that can be attached to the blades to clean while the three blades are rotating? Blade design? I try not to mow when the grass is wet or damp but when the grass is actively growing there is no way around this. The mower is used for a two acre lawn and it is quite a bummer when the blades sound like a helicopter from a clogged deck. Thanks for any help! Regards, Steve.

Reply to
Steve & Chris Clark

I have used silicone-based lubricant with some success, but have had the best luck with Pam cooking spray.

Reply to
Dog Nuts

Dull blades make mash of the grass, sharp blades clog less. Sharpening the blades each time you mow will probably correct the problem.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I would hate to think I had to sharpen my blades every time I mowed the lawn, especially if it is like it was last year when it was a season of nothing but constant lawn mowing . A dirty or caked up deck with old junk will also clog up the mower pretty quick especially if its wet, and to be honest, there is a lot of mower decks out there on various brands of equipment that are just prone to clogging more frequently than others are, no matter what the name is or how much yu paid for it. My old JD 180 could cut grass wet, dry or very thick and never get clogged up, but my new JD GX 335 w/54c deck does ot take kindly to wet grass even with sharp blades.lawn mowing.

Look under some decks and see those extra long bolts protuding down in the cutting area, clunky spindle housings, the support bars to keep the deck from twisting at the discharge chute, improperly adjusted decks, etc. Just slow down when cutting wet grass and always mow with the engine at full throttle.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy