Set Screws vs. Cap Screws

Page 2 of 3
The screw type won't matter. Either will hold. A soft screw is actually better than a hard screw, it will deform where it sets in and grab better. Some of the better screws made to lock in have brass tips to not deform the shafts, but bite in on the piece.
Can you make a small cradle for the belly where the screw will go, so that there is more support and that will help prevent it from spinning? If just mounted on that one screw point, it will definitely put lots of pressure on the fuse, and could eventually crack that area. A plane that size weighs a good amount, and you don't know how it was built. Ask about a small cradle to spread the load.
On 11/2/2012 4:53 PM, Leon wrote:

On 11/2/2012 5:20 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

I am thinking a cap screw, and a hard SS shaft. I would rather the clamping screw deform than the shaft. If the shaft threads deform it may be difficult to pull it out of the hole. And i am going to try to sell the customer on there being give in the event some one grabs a wing and gives it a push. Better for the plane to turn than something crack. Or I could grind the threads off on that end to prevent the above mention possibility.

Thought of that too. Way too much detail for that, there is landing gear in that area and the customer wants a clear view. The airplane has been displayed multiple times, the single mount is adequate. They just want to to tilt and not spin now.
I think I am going to talk him into going with a snug fit so that there will be some give in case something hits a wing and there needs to be give to prevent damage.

Can the 8mm threaded rod be bent very easily? If so, bend 1" of the end to 90 and imbed that end into the mounting post. Rip the mounting post if half, carve an appropriate channel for the bent rod, insert, and glue the mounting post back together.
Sonny

Yes, if you have access to a blacksmith's forge or maybe an Oxy-acetylene torch
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 23:45:07 +0000 (GMT), Stuart

allthread with no problem. It can even be bent cold as long as the radius is not too tight and it isn't made in China

My experience with small set screws that are regularly loosened and tighten has let's say been problematic. I would be looking for a way to simply be able to pin it. If you thought about it you could probably device a wedged M&T mount with the metal hardware glued in.
Mike M
Would a Rigid Coupling help? Has 4 set screws and accommodates sizes 6mm to 50mm rods. http://catalog.climaxmetal.com /
Sonny
On Friday, November 2, 2012 5:43:50 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

Available with or without keyways, also.
Sonny
On 11/2/2012 6:43 PM, Sonny wrote:

This is what I was think of using.
On 11/3/2012 9:11 AM, Leon wrote:

Brother....
This is what I "was" thinking of using...
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1174/=k046is

screw will NOT have.. I'd put a flat on the rod where the "setscrew" is supposed to contact - either way.
On 11/2/2012 6:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The flat will not always be in the same position.

Have you considered drilling a through hole through the coupling and rod and using a cotter pin or hitch pin?

On 11/2/2012 7:55 PM, Larry W wrote:

Yes but the hle will not always be in the same position. Customer wants to be able to position to liking and then make stationary.
On 11/2/2012 3:53 PM, Leon wrote:

forgotten or lost. I would use a simple knob like this: http://www.reidsupply.com/products/knobs-handles-hand-wheels/knobs/lobed-knobs /
or if you want to get a bit fancier, one of these: <http://www.carrlane.com/catalog/index.cfm/28025071F0B221118070C1C513E111D081B0006280B1713050245221E0107070F1A3C3B285352415B5B
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
OK, Thank you all for your suggestions!
Swingman has suggested an entirely different approach, to probably a bit more costly, and it seems to address all the issues of mounting to the airplane and with a few modification of my own address being able to quickly mount the airplanes and mounts onto the display posts.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8150585229/in/photostream/lightbox /
Thanks again!

If those dimensions are correct, I'd be terrified of someone brushing against one of those wings as they were walking by and ripping a plane from its foundations.
My preference would be to organize a strong enough mounting bracket and mount the planes vertically or sideways higher up on a wall.
On 11/3/2012 2:38 PM, Dave wrote:

My guess is that anybody smart enough to be in the airplane business knows how to protect one, even if it is just a model ... like maybe having displays behind roped off areas, you reckon?
Almost a guarantee, eh? ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Not in today's world. Besides, the people designing planes and the people in charge of the displays are bound to be different. Mr. Murphy is in charge of that little facet, isn't he?
-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle

Not necessarily your concern. Assuming/guessing who's in charge of what notwithstanding, what is a fact is that when you design-to-build to someone's very specific, and apparently in this case, commercial specifications, your preference about how it is ultimately used don't necessarily mean shit .... unfortunate or not. :)
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)