Semi-OT What's Wrong Here?

Page 3 of 4

to reply
Leon wrote:

The breathing difficulties disappear as they browse, however.
George wrote:

You lost me there. I know too many people who have COPD, bad hearts, and a couple with emphysema to think the difficulties disappear. In the case of COPD, the difficulty breathing MAY come and go, but that is not at the behest of the person suffering from the problem.

The bottle they push/carry around and around the store seems to be less of a burden in than outside.
George wrote:

That may also be true...climatic conditions can have a major effect. That said, there are degrees of handicap and some may well use a limited amount to the fullest extent possible--

So do these type ailments suddenly get better once you are in the Borg and end up walking a quarter mile or more?
On 7/3/2005 5:08 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

So, only people with physical walking problems are handicapped? Damn, you are dense.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7
George wrote:

Accident Insurance Settlement Check Corvette (now does it make sense?)
charlie b

But why contort in and out of a corvette? Certainly not comfortable.
Imagine it's as some said, not the type of disability you'd even recognize.
Still, a red corvette looks strange among all those white cadillacs....

Agreed. I've got a few friends with sports cars and although I know I could get in them if I really wanted to, it would be a hell of an effort to get out of them. That's aside from the fact that there would be no room for my wheelchair anyway, (even if I dissembled it)
One brand of car I've been looking at lately are the smart cars. Doors seem big enough for me to get in and out and they're low enough to the ground that I wouldn't have to climb in. I've been considering that kind of modifications I'd need to get my folding wheelchair in and out.

I saw a good setup the other day. A car (Buick Century) pulled into the parking spot and had a carrier on top that looked like the pods people use for luggage on a vacation. From the driver's seat he was able to open it, have the chair come down right at the door and shift himself into it.
George wrote:

As do the jacked up 4x4 Pickemup Trucks with the giant tires while parked at the local bowling alley in the handicapped spaces.
"George" wrote in message

Depends upon where you live. A casual observer around here would suspect that the HC stickers either come with the title, or with your/your spouses law degree.
Seems most every Mercedes/BMW/Lexus in the local shopping center sports one ... often driven by the trophy wife, complete with crotch hair hugging spandex exercise shorts (and sometimes the Master of the Universe himself, very possibly in the _same_ shorts), who parks and _runs_ in to get Margarita mix.
What a great country ... where you can be illiterate and still drive such nice automobiles (judging by the number of these same luxury egomobiles, routinely parked in clearly marked "no parking" areas).
... the practice, like many of the other scofflaw attitudes in this culture, is endemic.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05
Swingman wrote:

but sometimes, you gotta check it out. Some time ago, a young (by my standards) woman with a superb butt rammed her Expedition/Excursion/Excuse Me into a handicapped space, leapt down with touching the sill, and trotted into Winn Dixie. I was going in at the time, so I knew she occupied that space at least for the 30 minutes I was inside.
I told my wife about it. She knew, or knew of, the woman. Turns out, she really was handicapped, unable to read correctly, because her coke habit kept her awake nights. The Winn Dixie store and the young lady are both gone now, for the same reason: mismanagement.

That sounds a little off Charlie. Don't know about down in the US, but up here in Canada, disability parking permits are for the *mobility* impaired or for those who might have difficulty walking limited distances because of certain physical conditions. There's a number of disabilities that do not entitle one to a parking permit. vision being one of them. Maybe it's different in the US? I would also suggest that having trouble reading (such as street signs or warning signs) would also prevent someone from being licensed to drive.
All of that aside, up here in Canada too, the medical profession is almost universally too quick to sign the forms allowing someone to obtain a permit. I've seen it happen repeatedly and I lobby against it at every opportunity. The worst that happens is when one doctor refuses to complete a parking permit form for a patient, that person simply goes to another doctor. The original doctor often loses that patient as a client as well.
wrote in message

LOL. Which bets the question, what is a mobility impaired person doing shopping in a huge Borg building. Perhaps they should be allowed to drive through. I never could understand handicap parking in front of Large stores. The walk from the parking lot to the store is no where near the walk ahead of them once they get inside.

Leon, I hope you never have the problems some do. My wife (most days) can walk the inside of the larger stores, but she has to do it pushing a cart. The walk from a parking spot to the door is often a problem if there are no carts available or she does not have my arm to hold on to. In nice weather, I'll park at some distance so we can get the exercise, but when it is 13 degrees or 95 degrees, the placard comes out.
I know abuses occur. I know a fellow that uses his grandmother's car for Christmas shopping. I'm sure some people don't need to use those spots all the time. I'm sure some doctors are too quick to sign off. I doubt than any of us here (even if you are a doctor) can make an honest evaluation just watching a person walk to the store.
Oh, did I mention that some stores have electric scooters for the handicapped?
wrote in message

And so do I, and in no way mean any disrespect to any one with a disability.
My wife (most days) can

These are the people that I think George and I am picturing.
[snip]

needed a plumbing repair item or I wanted her opinion on a lighting fixture or paint color. Are you suggesting HD shouldn't let her in the store?!?
Hats off to our local BORG -- Our HD has electric carts for those that need them, and at least one person on the sales staff uses a powered wheelchair. HD is very good about providing services to handicapped customers, and also very good at hiring staff with special needs as well. In fact, I think the corporation has a special program and an arrangement with Goodwill to either use or provide training and experience for persons (such as with Downs Syndrome) who might otherwise be unemployable.
Regards --