Semi-OT What's Wrong Here?

SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't ask - and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can use the blue spots.

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including a Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Reply to
George

I'm trying to see what your point is. Handicapped (or whatever the PC term is) shouldn't have Corvettes? Seriously, I don't understand, besides a bit of venting about all the handicap spots being filled.

Up here in Canada, the number of handicap stickers in use has tripled in the last 10 years or so. Doctors seem willing to sign for almost anyone. As an example, an acquaintance of mine had arthroscopic knee surgery, and ended up getting a sticker for 6 months. Couldn't understand that one, myself. But he was quite proud of himself.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

"Clint" wrote in news:xgFxe.89639$HI.3960@edtnps84:

Just because the handicap is not blatently apparent does not mean that it is not truly a handicap!

It has always been my belief that someone who uses a "handicapped spot" and isn't qualified by reason of not being truly hadicapped has the worst handicap of all_____"lack of compassion for their fellow man"!

Reply to
Jaime Littlebeaver

"George" wrote in news:42c6f210 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

A fellow comes into the woodworking store on Thursday afternoon, nice looking guy, in a wheelchair, wearing a Harley Davidson tank top. He's got longish hair, and looks like he knows his way around the wheelchair from long experience. Buys $20 worth of hardware thingies for his project, and rolls out to the lot, where he proceeds to load the chair into a case on the back of his three-wheel Harley with hand controls, and ease on down the road, big grin catching bugs. What handicap?

Corvettes are for wimps.

Patriarch, hoping George's wife feels better soon...

Reply to
Patriarch

Why not? Any logical reason a handicapped person cannot drive a sports car? Luxury car? Truck? Having a heart or lung disease does not mean you have to drive a ten year old sedan.

My wife has a blue hanger. Sometimes we use it, sometimes not. Sometimes we intentionally park at the end of the lot and enjoy the walk. Other days she care barely make it to the door from the handicapped places. Since your wife is in a chair, all you have to do is push her a little further. What is the problem with that? I've done that many times when my MIL was still alive.

You sir, should be thankful you are in good health and that your wife will recover. Others that may look normal, don't know if they will wake up tomorrow morning. Please don't deny them a Corvette if they can afford it. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 7/2/2005 8:07 PM Patriarch mumbled something about the following:

There's several of us who ride motorcycles with handicapped plates. Are we handicapped, depends on what you consider a handicap. I'm unable to stand for long periods of time, or walk long distances (bad back, broken in 1986, and bad knees), but I can ride a bike just fine.

Reply to
Odinn

Accident Insurance Settlement Check Corvette (now does it make sense?)

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I've got the permanent tags on my car from back when I was taking care of a disabled brother. About the only time I've parked in a marked space since he died four years ago was when I took my sister -who also hobbles- on a trip last summer. I've not been able to convince the license bureau that I don't need them any more. Kind of got a few laughs when they came looking for the car's owner to move it out of the LZ during a training exercise.

Reply to
John Keeney

And why should you need them anymore? Disabled parking tags (in Canada a least) are assigned to the person that has the disability. You can use a tag if and when you're transporting a disabled person around, but not any other time, even if the vehicle belongs to a disabled person.

Reply to
Upscale

My mistake. I misread your message.

Reply to
Upscale

I guess if you qualify for handicapped parking you're not allowed to have some money and/or be a car enthusiast.

Reply to
Ba r r y

But why contort in and out of a corvette? Certainly not comfortable.

Imagine it's as some said, not the type of disability you'd even recognize.

Still, a red corvette looks strange among all those white cadillacs....

Reply to
George

Agreed. I've got a few friends with sports cars and although I know I could get in them if I really wanted to, it would be a hell of an effort to get out of them. That's aside from the fact that there would be no room for my wheelchair anyway, (even if I dissembled it)

One brand of car I've been looking at lately are the smart cars. Doors seem big enough for me to get in and out and they're low enough to the ground that I wouldn't have to climb in. I've been considering that kind of modifications I'd need to get my folding wheelchair in and out.

Reply to
Upscale

As do the jacked up 4x4 Pickemup Trucks with the giant tires while parked at the local bowling alley in the handicapped spaces.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Depends upon where you live. A casual observer around here would suspect that the HC stickers either come with the title, or with your/your spouses law degree.

Seems most every Mercedes/BMW/Lexus in the local shopping center sports one ... often driven by the trophy wife, complete with crotch hair hugging spandex exercise shorts (and sometimes the Master of the Universe himself, very possibly in the _same_ shorts), who parks and _runs_ in to get Margarita mix.

What a great country ... where you can be illiterate and still drive such nice automobiles (judging by the number of these same luxury egomobiles, routinely parked in clearly marked "no parking" areas).

... the practice, like many of the other scofflaw attitudes in this culture, is endemic.

Reply to
Swingman

but sometimes, you gotta check it out. Some time ago, a young (by my standards) woman with a superb butt rammed her Expedition/Excursion/Excuse Me into a handicapped space, leapt down with touching the sill, and trotted into Winn Dixie. I was going in at the time, so I knew she occupied that space at least for the 30 minutes I was inside.

I told my wife about it. She knew, or knew of, the woman. Turns out, she really was handicapped, unable to read correctly, because her coke habit kept her awake nights. The Winn Dixie store and the young lady are both gone now, for the same reason: mismanagement.

Reply to
Charlie Self

That sounds a little off Charlie. Don't know about down in the US, but up here in Canada, disability parking permits are for the *mobility* impaired or for those who might have difficulty walking limited distances because of certain physical conditions. There's a number of disabilities that do not entitle one to a parking permit. vision being one of them. Maybe it's different in the US? I would also suggest that having trouble reading (such as street signs or warning signs) would also prevent someone from being licensed to drive.

All of that aside, up here in Canada too, the medical profession is almost universally too quick to sign the forms allowing someone to obtain a permit. I've seen it happen repeatedly and I lobby against it at every opportunity. The worst that happens is when one doctor refuses to complete a parking permit form for a patient, that person simply goes to another doctor. The original doctor often loses that patient as a client as well.

Reply to
Upscale

Umm I think the point is that if you are able to crawl in and out of a Corvette you are probably just as capable as the rest of us of walking from a regular parking spot. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

LOL. When was the last YOU crawled into of out of a Corvette? I think if you can do that you may not be as handicapped as your tag indicates.

Reply to
Leon

LOL. Which bets the question, what is a mobility impaired person doing shopping in a huge Borg building. Perhaps they should be allowed to drive through. I never could understand handicap parking in front of Large stores. The walk from the parking lot to the store is no where near the walk ahead of them once they get inside.

Reply to
Leon