Semi-OT What's Wrong Here?

Page 1 of 4

SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't ask - and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can use the blue spots.
Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including a Corvette in front of the exit door.
A CORVETTE??????
I'm trying to see what your point is. Handicapped (or whatever the PC term is) shouldn't have Corvettes? Seriously, I don't understand, besides a bit of venting about all the handicap spots being filled.
Up here in Canada, the number of handicap stickers in use has tripled in the last 10 years or so. Doctors seem willing to sign for almost anyone. As an example, an acquaintance of mine had arthroscopic knee surgery, and ended up getting a sticker for 6 months. Couldn't understand that one, myself. But he was quite proud of himself.
Clint

Just because the handicap is not blatently apparent does not mean that it is not truly a handicap!
It has always been my belief that someone who uses a "handicapped spot" and isn't qualified by reason of not being truly hadicapped has the worst handicap of all_____"lack of compassion for their fellow man"!

And why should you need them anymore? Disabled parking tags (in Canada a least) are assigned to the person that has the disability. You can use a tag if and when you're transporting a disabled person around, but not any other time, even if the vehicle belongs to a disabled person.

My mistake. I misread your message.

Umm I think the point is that if you are able to crawl in and out of a Corvette you are probably just as capable as the rest of us of walking from a regular parking spot. ;~)

Yes, but . . . . . That point is just plain flat WRONG. Getting in and out of a car is far different that walking when you have a heart problem of COPD and the humidity is 99%. My MIL was agile enough to get in and out of any car, but her lung cancer would not allow her to walk more than 50 feet. No, the OP was just a narrow minded individual uneducated in the problems others have in their daily lives. I hope he remains healthy.
wrote in message

I understand your point but some of the vehicles parked in those spots just seem out of place.
On 7/3/2005 11:33 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

a handicapped spot? A Hummer? A Lotus Elan? Those of us who are handicapped in whatever capacity should still be allowed to own the vehicles we wish to own.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Out of place for the perceived activity required to get in and out of such a vehicle. I am handicapped also but would not expect a special parking permit because half my thumb is missing. Seem to me that many of the vehicles require more effort to get into and out of than walking a little farther like the rest of us. And, I don't think you should be limited to driving any particular vehicle but if you have the flexibility to get into and out of some of the tougher vehicles the walk up to the store should not bother you either in most cases. IMHO the spaces should be reserved to those that really do have a hard time getting around.
On 7/3/2005 3:40 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

limited to a vehicle that isn't a motorcycle or a corvette? You are dense.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

truly handicapped, so my parents have the plates on all their vehicles. She can only ride in the van, but my mother still uses the handicapped spots in her Taurus, without a handicapped person in sight just because she has the plates.
Had a few good yelling matches with her over that one, but some people just will never learn.

That's different from up here in Canada. Parking permits for the disabled are assigned to the person, not the vehicle. I can use the permit when I'm travelling around as a passenger with someone who is able bodied or when I'm driving a vehicle with hand controls.
wrote in message

Here it CT, you get the permit as an individual. Only then can you apply for plates for the car. Both our cars are in both our names so I'm not going to do that but I'm not going to do that even if I can. . The placard is signed by my wife so if I was to be challenged because I used it, there would be a hefty fine. I can walk pretty far to avoid spending $200+
There are strict rules on how to qualify, but I'm sure there are abuses if a doctor will sign off. There are temporary tags for injuries that will heal such as the broken leg. .
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I think the way she got it is by being the legal guardian- my sister cannot speak or move any part of her body except her right arm, couple that with an estimated mental capacity of a two-year old child, and it's pretty clear that someone else needs to fill out the form and sign it. Not sure if it's *legal* or not, I just know it isn't right.

Prometheus wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong to procure it in her name...only thing wrong would be to use it for other purposes...
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:34:52 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Yep, I was referring to her using it on a car that cannot transport my sister. No way to use it for it's intended purpose whatsoever. On the van with the lift, it makes perfect sense!
Upscale wrote:

It's not different in concept, only (perhaps) in implementation. Every state in the US of which I am aware does essentially the same thing--a handicapped individual has to apply and get an affidavit signed by licensed physician stating the handicap and whether it is permanent. If permanent, then a permanent handicap license plate will be issued for a vehicle of choice, but it is still only valid to be used in the handicap zone when the individual for which it was issued is either a passenger or the driver, even though the tag is affixed to the vehicle. Abuse by others of the privilege is punishable by pretty hefty fines. Most, if not all, states will also issue at the same time one or more non-fixed permits which may be placed in the vehicle so the same individual may be a passenger or operator of another vehicle if necessary. Again, same rule applies--others using the permit are not legal and subject to fine/towing. Again, most if not all states will honor other states temporary permits on out of state vehicles and many will for in-state (MIL is visiting from Left Coast, for example, she can bring her hanging permit w/ her rather than go get a local temporary)...
wrote in message

Full of it. I have seen and cared for more people with problems than (I hope) you'll ever see.
I'm a medic.