Semi-OT, Smoke Alarms in Shops

I have a shop in my "lower level", at the other end of the house. If a fire developed in the shop after we went to bed the chances of me hearing the smoke alarm (the one in the shop) is about zip. It would seem someone would make smoke alarms that triggered the other smoke alarms in the house. It sounds good, but the only options I could find were complete alarm systems, something I don't need/want, and that costs lots of money.
Does anyone know of a solution?

I have the type you describe in my house, they run on electric with battery backup.
"Guppas!" wrote in message

I've got'em in my house ... and not part of an alarm system. One goes off, they all go off. They are, obviously, connected by a wire, which should not pose too much of a problem for a DIY'er.
BTW, they are now "code" for new construction in this locality, so I am certain they are available commercially.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

Check also for "remote notify" sensors. The sensing unit uses a low- level transmitter (like a baby monitor) to send a trigger signal to the remote alarm. Great for outbuilding shops, garden sheds, or detached garages. IIRC, these can be had for smoke, heat, and carbon monoxide.
Probably not easily available at the local BORG, but a decent alarm company or locksmith/alarm shop may be able to order them for you if they don't have it as a regular stock item.

Do you have any idea how far apart these can be? I'd kinda like to have one in my shop which would also set off the one in the house but the wiring would probably extend to about 120feet.
On 28 Jan 2004 14:09:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Guppas!) wrote:

They do, and I believe they are required by current code. They're about $10 at any home center. Mine are AC/DC and use a 3rd trigger wire.
I have four of them in my home. It drives my wife nuts if I set one off in the shop, and the detector outside the bedroom goes off.
Barry
Guppas! wrote:

Every AC smoke detector I've installed over the last ten+ years has a third wire for the function you describe. A dusty area like a shop may need a heat detector instead of a smoke detector, to prevent false alarms.
You can get them in the HD or Lowes. They require a trigger wire that connects them all together.

"Guppas!" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
over time the Borg smoke detectors will fail due to a build up of dust, if you vacuum them out periodically you reduce the chance of a false alarm. at least when they fail, you know it! ;-)
BRuce
Guppas! wrote:

--
---

BRuce

You can get interconnectable battery powered and manins powered smoke/heat alarms ie one sensing smoke will trigger all those connected.
BRuce <BRuce> wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Guppas!) wrote in message

Thanks, everyone. So the solution exists, but they have to be wired together. So much for going wireless! Thanks again.