Semi OT: Shop Floor - padded floor or good shoes?

Page 1 of 3
I have recently moved and am in the process of setting up my shop as it will be for a very long time. It will be located in a two-car garage with a concrete floor. My knees aren't so good and it has been my experience that walking/standing on a concrete floor for a long period of times is really uncomfortable - especially when it is cold. So, I am looking at options. I have looked into some type of shock-absorbing flooring, most of which is rubber similar to what you see in gyms and fitness clubs. It looks like a nice option but it is REALLY expensive. The formula for the material I would need looks roughly like;
$$Flooring = ($$ 8" jointer) + ($$ stationary Planer)
After I recovered from the initial shock, I started thinking that a really good pair of shoes instead of my current set of work-boots might be the way to go.
If others would be so kind as to share their opinions, I am interested in hearing the pros/cons of each.
While I don't like the idea of spending the $$ for the flooring, if it will sufficiently optimize my shop time comfort over the long haul, I will likely do it. However, it seems like I could buy a lot of REALLY good shoes for that $$ over time.
Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Here's a compromise solution in 2 parts ... put a floating laminate floor into the shop, with a nice foam cushion under it ... I got mine for 99 cents a square foot, and it is surprisingly durable under shop conditions, a breeze to clean up, and very cushy with the foam underlay, not to mention warm ... and buy some Dr. Scholl's gel inserts for your boots.
Cheers,
David D wrote: ...

How did you put it down?

Cut the underlay to fit, clicked the flooring together over top ... a few cuts, but pretty straightforward. Bit of trim to make it look nicer and trap the sawdust.
Moving the tools and stock out and back was the hardest part.

And I did lay it directly onto the concrete ... my shop is in the basement. The foam and the flex of the laminate compensate for any irregularity in the surface.
David D wrote:

Interesting...wondered if it didn't/doesn't move. How thick is the underlayment?
I could see something like this down the road...

It does move, marginally, Duane, hence the term floating floor; however, the movement is nominal ... case of small fractions of an inch rather than inches, and it "moves" as a unit.
The underlayment I chose is only about " thick, but very dense, and between it and the flex of the flooring, very cushy underfoot.
Also, it looks classy as heck. Practical, inexpensive and stylish. Gotta love it.
David D wrote:

Thanks, David...it's an option that I hadn't considered at all for the purpose.

Beware, it looks great and it's cheap and easy but slippery as heck with sawdust down. You have to keep it really clean.
-Brian

That was an incentive for me, Brian ... keeps me from being lax about shop upkeep. Good point to bring up, though.
David D wrote:

Yeah, I bet it would be...what you got me thinking of though was try essentially the same thing w/ the leftover strip flooring I have...

My only concern would be that wood won't be as resilient as is the laminate, Duane ... if that's not a concern for you, then I'd say go for it.
David D wrote:

No, it won't, but this is left over yellow pine from the original barn and salvaged from other outbuildings--it's milled 80 years or so and is thus hard as it can be. I would leave it as is to keep the patina but add the little cushioning instead of laying it directly on the slab. I can try a small area as a try to see how it goes.

Sounds lovely. I'll look forward to pics in abpw when you get it laid.
David D wrote:

That'll be some time... :)
Much to go on the barn itself and farming season is just getting ready to start up in earnest, so time will be short (althoughs days long) in a little while...

How well does dust and little pieces of wood sweep up from it?

Cleans up beautifully. Vacuum with the shop-vac, then when I want a real nice job, go over it with the swiffer wet mop ...
I've put this in my home, 1 room and hallway...but the shop? What a concept!
For those who have it installed in the shop, are your stationary tools on wheels? I'd like to try this (someday) but would think that the laminate would chip or crack while rolling a heavy object (lets say dc-380 15" planer with a mob base)
wrote in message

wrote in message

This sounds like a great idea and not one I had considered as I would be concerned as to how it holds up in the long term with heavy machinery on it. (300LBS+). I would be expect that it might dent where the feet or wheels touch the surface of the laminate when the equipment stays in place for an extended period of time. Wonder what the lbs per square inch ratings are on this type of flooring as all of my machinery is mobile so only 4 to 6 touch points not much larger than a square inch support the machinery.
BTW, where are you finding this at 99 cents a square foot. The best I have found is around 1.99. With approximately 550-600 square feet, this would make a big difference in cost, another decent tool at a minimum.
Thanks,
David

I got mine at Rona, David ... like Lowe's but in Canada (and yes, paid in Canadian dollars too ... woohoo!) I've actually seen laminate as cheap as 79 cents a square foot at a local borg.
And at that cost, if it wears out in a couple of years, it sure doesn't owe me anything.
Having said that ... my refrigerator is on laminate for the last 3 years ... big heavy sucker, and it gets wheeled out for cleaning every week or two, so my guess is the laminate will tolerate a bit of abuse and certainly some weight.
I'd have a nicer kitchen floor but my partner runs a daycare out of our home, so cheap and durable are the two watchwords for us in that regard. I did the shop floor with laminate because I had spare ... wouldn't have thought to do so otherwise.