Semi-OT - Handmade wood gift for 1 yr old girl

Anyone have any suggestions for a handmade wooden gift for a 1 year old girl?

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

A teething ring.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
dd700

Rocking Horse. My kids loved them.

Reply to
ddi

Think you have to wear a helmet now if the horse actually rocks.

Yet there's a trampoline in half the backyards....

wrote

Reply to
George

On 23 Jul 2003, B a r r y B u r k e J r . spake unto rec.woodworking:

Stacking rings

Very simple jigsaw puzzles - 3-5 pieces, in a frame

Large colorful blocks

Reply to
Scott Cramer

They're starting to walk by that age so either pull toys with wheels and a short string or a ride-on horse, dog, etc. that they can scoot along on.

Reply to
Steve

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You can get the "New Yankee Workshop:Kids' Stuff" book from Amazon.com - they don't have it in stock but you can get it cheap from their used book sellers.

marble roll toy looks pretty good.

-- Patrick Fitzgerald - snipped-for-privacy@barelyfitz.com BarelyFitz Designs -

Patrick Fitzgerald

wrote

Amazon.com -

Marbles + 12 month old = dirty fingernails

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Since my skills are still pretty immature, a uncle made a Riding Horse (with

4 springs; not rockers) on a wide, sturdy base for ours.

Amazing how much they love it! The oldest boy (3) still loves it after 2 years. The middle boy likes to push it up and down. And our baby girl loves to scare the poop out'a us by riding it hard, standing up, with only one hand!

Reply to
tnfkajs

Our woodworking club makes lots of children's toys for donation. A heart shaped jewelry box with the cavity drilled out with a fostner bit and the the lid swiveled on a 1/4" dowel might be approptiate.

I manufacture eggrollers for sale which fasinate 1-2 yo's as the egg flip flops back and forth.

Whatever you make be certain non of the parts will fit inside a toilet paper tube to prevent swallowing and choking hazards, and sharp points and splinters are also undesireable.

BTW, if you use a scrollsaw, I convert photographs into patterns for a nominal price. These make wondeful keepsake gifts for relatives.

Doug Turner

Reply to
Doug Turner

Hmmm - 1 year old? If it was a boy, I'd get him a 12" x 12" piece of jummywood and a foam rubber hammer. But since it's a girl - I'd do the same! Honestly - they'd probably love it.

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara
47Driver spaketh...

that's the kind of gift you give to other peoples kids

nice work, I might make one for my daughter

OT: My daughter, 6 years old, only wanted about 3 things for Christmas, but one of those things was a drum set. I had to explain that Santa does not bring drum sets because they are too bulky in the sleigh. She didn't believe it until Christmas morning... I should've just bought the damn drum set, sigh.

Reply to
McQualude

B a r r y B u r k e J r . spaketh...

Anything they can put in their mouth and chew on because that is what they are going to do with it. A 5x1.5" maple dowel rod would be perfect.

Reply to
McQualude

Thanks all!

I have some excellent ideas for this coming Christmas!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .