Semi-OT - Handmade wood gift for 1 yr old girl

Anyone have any suggestions for a handmade wooden gift for a 1 year old girl?
Thanks, Barry
A teething ring.
in message

A new Delta unisaw
in message

Rocking Horse. My kids loved them.
in message

Think you have to wear a helmet now if the horse actually rocks.
Yet there's a trampoline in half the backyards....

On 23 Jul 2003, B a r r y B u r k e J r . spake unto rec.woodworking:

Stacking rings
Very simple jigsaw puzzles - 3-5 pieces, in a frame
Large colorful blocks

They're starting to walk by that age so either pull toys with wheels and a short string or a ride-on horse, dog, etc. that they can scoot along on.
in BarelyFitz Designs - http://www.barelyfitz.com /

Marbles + 12 month old = dirty fingernails
I made a "car" ramp toy that was an immediate hit with several different ages. Car was piece of 4/4 with wheels cut with hole saw and axles were 1/4" pegs. Stood agout 16" tall and 12" long with 3" wide ramps with bevels on sides to keep cars on track. Drop the car on top and it rolled down and dropped to next ramp and repeated for the 4 ramps. Really effective self involved entertainment.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:18:05 GMT, Patrick Fitzgerald

in message

Since my skills are still pretty immature, a uncle made a Riding Horse (with 4 springs; not rockers) on a wide, sturdy base for ours.
Amazing how much they love it! The oldest boy (3) still loves it after 2 years. The middle boy likes to push it up and down. And our baby girl loves to scare the poop out'a us by riding it hard, standing up, with only one hand!
Our woodworking club makes lots of children's toys for donation. A heart shaped jewelry box with the cavity drilled out with a fostner bit and the the lid swiveled on a 1/4" dowel might be approptiate.
I manufacture eggrollers for sale which fasinate 1-2 yo's as the egg flip flops back and forth.
Whatever you make be certain non of the parts will fit inside a toilet paper tube to prevent swallowing and choking hazards, and sharp points and splinters are also undesireable.
BTW, if you use a scrollsaw, I convert photographs into patterns for a nominal price. These make wondeful keepsake gifts for relatives.
Hmmm - 1 year old? If it was a boy, I'd get him a 12" x 12" piece of jummywood and a foam rubber hammer. But since it's a girl - I'd do the same! Honestly - they'd probably love it.
Jums
in message

47Driver spaketh...

that's the kind of gift you give to other peoples kids <g>
nice work, I might make one for my daughter
OT: My daughter, 6 years old, only wanted about 3 things for Christmas, but one of those things was a drum set. I had to explain that Santa does not bring drum sets because they are too bulky in the sleigh. She didn't believe it until Christmas morning... I should've just bought the damn drum set, sigh.
--
McQualude

B a r r y B u r k e J r . spaketh...

Anything they can put in their mouth and chew on because that is what they are going to do with it. A 5x1.5" maple dowel rod would be perfect.
--
McQualude

Thanks all!
I have some excellent ideas for this coming Christmas!
Barry