Seeking matress ideas for kd bed

Daughter enlisted in military which freed up a bedroom but she's expected to visit periodically. Would like to build a small (twin-sized) kd bed to accomodate her when she's home, say, once a year. Other than Thermarest camping matresses, I'm unaware of alternatives for space-saving matresses for this project. Requirements are comfort and compact storage, in that order. I will look into modern air matresses but am somewhat prejudiced against them. Has anyone else faced this problem?
Yes, but we've got a daybed to cover that eventuality. Might want to look into that or a futon if you're using the room as a den.
If not, strongly consider one of the self-inflating air mattresses. I sleep on mine when I'm on ambulance shift rather than the bunk provided.
Depending on her station, she might just appreciate the home floor and fresh cookies. Cots and three weeks postage to Iraq.
Nice to see another Ukrainian on the group.

Better idea. All in a Ziplock, but in each, a slice of Wonder Bread or such will all the preservatives. Works great.
Talked with him on IM yesterday, and he got his maple syrup. Says it makes quite an impression in the chow hall when he pulls out the little jug.
(George) says:

mike korenchuk wrote:

My son is in Army basic training. I'm making a loft bed out of his twin bed. SWMBO's sewing stuff is going on a table underneath it. ;-) The computer that used to be in the living room has already found a new home on "his" desk.
-- Mark
On 19 Nov 2003 04:59:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mike korenchuk) wrote:

How about a fold-out sofa bed ? The mattress is a rollable futon, and it forms the cushions when in use as a sofa. My favourite design has a rigid backless frame holding the two ends and the arms apart, the back and seat are rigid frames that fold downwards with a central hinge, and the "matttress" is supported on a wire chain-link net. So long as the net is tensioned adequately (no hammock slump) and the mattress is a good grade of cotton batting, not foam, then these are comfortable.
Andy Dingley wrote:

IMHO cotton futons suck. Better to get a sprung model.
On 19-Nov-2003, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mike korenchuk) wrote:

I find the Camp Rest size Thermarest to be at least, if not more, comfortable than my bed (which has a brand name orthopedic mattress). I know a lot of folks would consider a Thermarest to be a poor offering, but I don't. I'd rather sleep on one than on most guest beds. When travelling, I've been known to sleep on a Thermarest next to the bed in a B&B. YMMV
Mike
mike korenchuk wrote:

I've never been keen on air mattresses, but we bought one of the AeroBed's, for similar reasons, and they're pretty good.

Thanks for the many great ideas. Upstairs bedroom is too small for a sofa bed and they're awfully heavy to get up the stairs. With an 8ft ceiling, I'm wondering about the practicality of the loft idea. Not too much head room. but I haven't discounted it completely. My wife likes the aerobed idea and I'm a true believer in Thermarests, one of which would, I'm sure, fit nicely into a kd frame. And would even look good too. Thanks again!

The -good- air-inflatables for camping, etc. are quite tolerable. The ones that are 'full matress' thickness, that is. I've got one sold by Coleman.
What kind of a woodworking group is this, anyway? Nobody has suggested a Murphy bed?