Sealing the lids on paint tins

Page 1 of 6
Someone I know puts a couple of very thin plastic sheets (cut up vegetable bags from the supermarket)under the tin lids of tins of varnishes, paints and glues that come stored in tins.
It makes the lids come on and off very easily and he claims they act like a 'washer' and hence give a more *airtight* seal. But since air passes through plastic bags (why long life bread is packaged in 'silvered' plastic bags) albeit slowly, would this be worth doing?

The reason paint goes off after being opened and used is the large quantity of new air when you replace the lid.
--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Your better dropping a peace of plastic in the bottom

Or fill the space with some inert gas?
--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Store the tins upside down.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 40th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3177
Sing, for song drives away the wolves.
Huge wrote:

Makes no difference once the tin is opened and new air introduced.
On 05/07/2011 11:36, steve robinson wrote:

With oil based paints, it ensures that the skin is under the paint, not on top, when you come to use it.
Colin Bignell
Nightjar wrote:

The reason for rotating tins was to help keep the oils and pigments mixed, otherwise they eventually seperate
On 7/5/2011 6:03 AM, steve robinson wrote:

Now that is a load, that will not keep the contents mixed.

It WILL help keep the paint from stratifying because the heavy parts always sink to the bottom. Constantly changing where the "bottom" is HELPS keep the paint from becoming a cake of pigment etc covered by oil.

My sister wanted to stain the deck with some 3 year old deck stain. ALL the solids had settled on to the bottom, where it took some doing to get them back in suspension again. (I used a paint mixer in the drill press.)
It may not keep the contents mixed, but perhaps it will make it easier to mix the contents back together.
Puckdropper

============================== Your kitchen blender works much better for those hard to break up solids. Just don't forget to wash it well before your next protein shake and workout and let the stain settle for a few weeks to remove fine air bubbles.
--
Eric

On 7/5/2011 8:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Was "constant changing" mentioned??? I believe simply storing upside down was what the conversation was all about. Sure constant changing will help but not simply rotating to the upside down position.

Rotating is an action, so I assumed it was more than just turning it over - which would be "inverting" it.
On 7/5/2011 10:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Go up a few posts, the one that states, "store the tins upside down". Then rotating was mentioned as to the reason to store upside down.
Now throw into the mix that new paint in cases is stored upside down. Open a case that is right side up and you find upside down paint cans.

*Ach du meine gute!
That could be -catastrophic- to drones in a paint store!
*When translated into English, and spoken with a NYC accent, it reads "Oh my gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd!"
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:45:44 +0100, "Nightjar wrote:

But how do you then stir the paint to get the oil back in without breaking the skin and get loads of bits in the paint?
As for the plastic bag under lid can't see a reason for it provided the lid and rim are in good condition. I always wipe around the lid and rim to remove excess paint put the lid on firmly with a few taps from a small hammer. Don't have a problem with stuff going off and if there is a skin it is easy to remove in tact.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

so what is actually needed (dragon's den here I come) is a paint tin that can be made shorter, perhaps collapsible corrugations ? or an inner cup that could be screwed inside the can and would then effectively raise the bottom surface of the can.
On Jul 5, 12:19pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

Something like a wine box?
Owain
Owain wrote:

problem is that paint separates, so it needs to be something with a solid bottom and room to get a stirrer in. What about a tough plastic bag inside a tin?, you could then seal the bag in close proximity to the surface of the paint and undo it for stirring and use.