Scroll Saw Questions

My wife bought me a "Dremel" 18" scroll saw workstation for X-Mas. Is this a decent make for a scroll saw?? It seems to cut smooth and blades are easy to change. Where can I find scroll saw patterns.......internet? Could someone post some cool patterns of crosses, or anything else so I can give this tool a workout? I am thinking of sizing the image and juist gluing it onto a peace of wood and then cutting it out.......will this work instead of using carbon paper? Thanks in advance !

Reply to
Roger M.

Roger:

MSN Groups: Free Scrollsaw Patterns:

have to join the group)

There are other newsgroups / forums dedicated to scrollsaw, but they don't offer free patterns.

Reply to
GrayBeardPhil

Yep. Have you tried Google?

Most woodworking supply stores carry a good selection of books with scrollsaw patterns. There must be thousands in print. Do you have a Rockler or Woodcraft store anywhere near you? Also, check your Yellow Pages under "woodworking" to see if there are any independent woodworking supply stores in your area. Here in Indianapolis, we have a Rockler and a Woodcraft -- and an independent "mom-and-pop" shop that carries easily three times the selection of scrollsaw pattern books of Rockler and Woodcraft *combined*. (For those in the Indy area, I'm talking about Woods-Work on East Washington street.)

That will work fine. Lots easier than carbon paper. Solvent-based spray adhesives work well for adhering the paper to the wood temporarity. Don't use a water-based wood glue, or you'll have a ton of trouble removing the paper.

Doug Miller

Roger,

The dremel looks like a pretty good saw, at least to begin with. I, and most serious scrollers, have the DeWalt. If you're going to get completely serious about this, and have lots of $$$, then look at the Hegner or RBI saws. Very nice, and very expensive.

As far as patterns are concerned, you can use almost anything you can copy. As the others have mentioned, most WW shops will have a good selection of pattern books. Copy the pattern with a laser (NOT ink-jet) printer or copier, and attach them to the wood using something like the

3M artists adhesive. After you complete cutting the pattern out, simply sand off the remaining paper.

When you get further into it, you'll probably want to do more complicated patterns that have lots of fretwork (inside cuts) and complexity. For these, go to either WildWood Designs

or the Berry Basket
These places also sell clock inserts and parts.

Blades are important. The best blades are Flying Dutchman. You can get these from Mike's Workshop

I've never seen Flying Dutchman at either Rockler or Woodcraft.

Finally, there's the wood. Starting out, I recommend that you simply use Baltic Birch plywood, as this is relatively inexpensive, can make some very nice projects, and is easy to get. Once you get into it further, you'll probably want to use hardwoods, as they make the best projects. Personally, I like working with Walnut and Cherry, although you have to watch the burning with Cherry.

There are lots of on-line places to get 1/4 - 3/4" hardwoods, which are what you'll be using. If you've got a bandsaw with riser blocks and can resaw, you've got it made. With that, you can buy 4/4 or larger lumber and resaw it to your required size.

Finally, there is a group on the Wood magazine site that seems very good. Check out

The guys there will be happy to answer questions.

Good luck! I love my saw. This year I'm go> My wife bought me a "Dremel" 18" scroll saw workstation for X-Mas. Is this

Reply to
John W. Fawcett

Patterns: Internet, coloring books, anything that has some manner of outline. Glueing: WalMart and many other stores carry spray adhesive by several different mfgrs - take your pick.

Next, go to your library or a bookstore and sno> My wife bought me a "Dremel" 18" scroll saw workstation for X-Mas. Is this

Reply to
John DeBoo

"Roger M." wrote in news:milAd.161917$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

Sure, it's a pretty good scrollsaw.

There are lots of scrollsaw pattern books at most bookstores. Patterns on the net, too, or draw your own.

Sure. Use a spray adhesive like 3M photo mount. You want something that's nonpermanent so you don't have to spend a lot of time sanding, but you want something that sticks well enough so that it won't lift off as you're cutting.

Have fun.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

The Dremel will serve you well. Folks have already pointed out the places that I get many of my patterns from so I won't add to those. As far as adhering the pattern to the wood, first, cover the wood with blue painters' tape, use a spray adhesive such as 3M 77, Scotch Bond, etc. to adhere the pattern to the tape then cover with clear packing tape. The tapes lubricate the blade which helps reduce burning of the wood. I'd suggest picking up any "basics" book from Patrick Spielman as well as the video "Scollsaw Fretworking A-Z" which you can get direct from the source on e-bay for about $15.

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

Roger,

You'll also find a category of free scrollsawing pplans at

WoodchuckCanuck

There are any number of ways to transfer the pattern. Rubber cement for a paper copy is the most obvious, but there are other glues as well. Aleene's Tacky Glue is also well known. You can find it at most craft chains, such as JoAnne's, A.C.Moore, etc.

I have a Dremel 1680, but no room to work with it right now.

For more help from fellow scrollers, there is also a mailing list:

snipped-for-privacy@allthingswood.com

Sign up at:

online chat can be found at:
world wide scroll saw association is at:

Mike has most of the blades you can't find anywhere else:

McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell

I have a Dremel scroll saw. Works well. Yes, patterns are available all over the net. Do a Google search. I use spray adhesive to glue the patterns to the wood as you describe. Works great.

Reply to
CW