scroll saw purchase

Looking to purchase a new scroll saw - price range $400-$500. Have been scrolling for about ten years. Need another saw to support the ones I own. Any ideas?

Reply to
Hal and Geri

Dewalt 20" is one of the best for that money.

Reply to
tdup2

Get the DeWalt. It's one of the best out there and right in your price range.

Reply to
Charley

G'day, I'd say the Dewalt 20" would be the way to go. I haven't used one, but dearly love to own one. Have done quite a bit of research and listened to what the WRECKERS have had to say and this seems to be best value for money. Unfortunately, as I live in Aust. the postage is more than then the machine and no one stocks them here. Still working on it and I'm sure I will end up with one one day, even if it winds up costing about a grand AU. Still not a bad machine. regards John

Reply to
John B

Get the DeWalt.

Reply to
Doug Miller

While DeWalt seems to have a lot of happy users, the other contender in your price range is the Delta P-20. Different design approach, seen somewhat less often, but generally regarded highly by owners.

This newsgroup is probably not the one most used by scrollsawyers. You might try going to Yahoo Groups and doing a search on groups with the key word "scroll saw". Once you've found some interesting groups, do a search within the group for "P-20" and for "DW788" (which I think is the DW number).

To summarize my understanding of the differences: DeWalt has somewhat less vibration. DeWalts tend to "wear out" after a few years when used in continuous commercial service. P-20 has a multi-speed belt drive and DW has an electronic variable speed control. Some scrollers reject the P-20 because of that, while others (such as myself) prefer it for that reason. P-20 weighs about twice what the DW weighs.

Good luck!

Chuck

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
chuck

Reply to
Mike Berger

Thanks Mike , I'll look into that, Also thanks for the advice regarding the 110 -240v. Regards John

Reply to
John B

thanks for all the replies. it looks like it might be the dewalt

Reply to
Hal and Geri

I'd vote for the DeWalt, it's a great machine, and used several times a week. Ultra low vibration, I can still stand a coin on one end on it's table, while it's running.

Are you sure that nobody in Aust has them? they are for sale here in NZ, but at about NZD900. I bought mine in the USA when HD had some sort of argument with DW and cleared them out for about $300. I run it through a 230-110vac transformer with no problems.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox