Screw lubricant

I use bar soap, and it's always been fine. I'd caution you against using that wax ring for anything but installing a toilet, though. Having done that job a number of times when remodeling, it's some of the stickiest, nastiest crap there ever was- if you can't get it off your fingers, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to get off unfinished wood! It's also going to pick up every speck of anything that may be floating around the shop as soon as you open it, so expect it to be a real mess unless you plan to keep it in some kind of covered container after opening.

Perhaps a better experiment would be paste wax. I think I may have used it in the past for this, but I can't recall how well it did or did not work.

Reply to
Prometheus

You've got it. High-quality facial soaps contain glycerin in good proportion, just as your K-Y does. They're also pH neutralized, of course. Pretty friendly stuff that lubes great and evaporates slowly. Might be enough time to evaporate that soft iron would rust, but plated mild steel or even harder stuff with phosphate coatings should endure.

Reply to
George

He got it right in a few threads a few weeks ago, but for some reason

END PART 1

**************************************** *** The remainder of this reply will *** *** be posted in a separate thread. *** *** Thank you for your cooperation. *** ****************************************
Reply to
Chuck Taylor

Brylcream, a little dab'll do ya, Brylcream, you'll look so debonair. Brylcream, the gals will all pursue ya, They'll love to run their fingers through your hair.

My memory scares me sometimes.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

He also does not know to not use soap as a screw lubricant. Might as well spray a little salt water on the screw before inserting it.

Reply to
Leon

A dual purpose product, Minwax Finishing Wax.

Reply to
Leon

Sun, Feb 11, 2007, 1:33am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nb.sympatico.ca () doth sayeth: Someone may have a better way than me. I use a vernier to find the screw minor thread diameter and drill the pilot hole accordingly.

I just hold bits up to the screw to compare until I find a suitable size.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

Sun, Feb 11, 2007, 1:49am snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Buddy=A0Matlosz) corrected Lew with: That was Brylcream.

Buddy is too modest. He even made a recording of it.

those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

Sun, Feb 11, 2007, 9:48am snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Buddy=A0Matlosz) doth sayeth: My memory scares me sometimes.

Don't worry. It scares us too.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

Mine too. Useless stuff I remember. Names, birthdays, appointments, nope.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

My photographic memory is running out of film. The format is no longer supported. The memory I have left is very good, but short. Useless bits, however, linger on forever. Somehow, I remember phone numbers very well... but for some reason, the odd number here or there just will not stick. I do remember that it is Valentines in a few days... that's easy to remember as the death-penalty awaits me if I forget. I call it The Pink Mile.

Robatoy

Train wrecks few reason clear fireman never hugs engineer

Burmashave

I really wish I could erase and re-use at least five or six of those brain cells for something useful...

Morris Dovey

The Spring Has sprung The grass Has riz Over where Last year's Careless Driver is BurmaShave

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Soap may be somewhat hygroscopic, but better examples would be methanol and ethanol. They absorb water from the air readily. Perhaps the property you're thinking of is hydrophilic or hydrophobic. Soap molecules have a hydrophilic (water-preferring) end and a hydrophobic (oil/fat-preferring) end, which is why it works as it does by cleaning a variety of substances.

todd

Reply to
todd

ROTFLMAO.

Thanks, that made my day - which gives you some idea of how my day's been going.

Buddy

Buddy is too modest. He even made a recording of it.

those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

I cheat. I use the chart in the "Handy Pocket Reference" from the HW store checkout lane. ;-)

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

I think it was "C & E" who stated:

I use birthday candles that I had left over after my kids moved away.

I read somewhere along the way . . . LONG before the Wreck was available . . . that soap wasn't a good idea.

I also have some beeswax that I got from my wife and that works well, too.

Between the birthday candles and the beeswax I have a lifetime supply.

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

I think it was Lew Hodgett who stated:

Seen last year along the road:

Try our FRESH sweet corn

The stand's very near

It'll cost MUCH less than

A buccaneer

BurmaCorn

Sure enough, there was a stand selling sweet corn a half mile down the road . . . .

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

You gotta love it.