Screw lubricant

Page 2 of 3
I use a block of beeswax.
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 02:40:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I saw him post a question on The Oak (dying a slow death, by the way--major defection of a lot of users after a system crash about six months ago) on how to fix the problem. So he's at least aware and at least trying to fix it. I can't imagine why he'd pick a dying board to ask. Moreover, I can't imagine why he wouldn't ask here.
And I wish he'd get it fixed.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

You are very charitable. If you look at his profile he does this repeatedly in many groups. I'm convinced it is done deliberately and he is just a butt head troll...
If he is this retarded they wouldn't sell him power tools.
-jtpr

Well, yeah. If he can't (for whatever reason) get his newsreader to act properly it's going to affect his every response in every group.

I don't disagree with that sentiment at all. However, isn't he old? Like 80 something? My 87 year old mother wants in the worst way to use the internet, but there are some things she just cannot grasp. And she mothered two Mensa kids. She's not retarded--just lost a lot of cognitive ability.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Wed, Feb 14, 2007, 9:31pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail-dot-.com (LRod) doth ssayeth: <snip> My 87 year old mother wants in the worst way to use the internet,but there are some things she just cannot grasp. <snip>
No prob. Get her a WebTV. My mother is 85-86 and has no problems. They're not really expensive, you can get a printer for them, they usa a TV as a monitor, and hook up to the phone line. I still can't figure out what I'd need a computer for, so I still stick with mine. It'd get her on the web with a minimum of fuss, let her send and get e-mail, and surf. I haven't checked the prices in a lonnnng time - got my Plus unit off of eBay for $50 years ago - at that time the Plus was going for about $200 in stores - it's been discontinued since.
My sister's WebTV blew up, or somethng, so shee's been looking for a replacement - I guess now there's something called a MNSTV, which is some sort of "improved" WebTV. She's trying for a refurbed unit, but can't shop for one, because she needs to get on-line to sop. I thought tat was a bit amsing - she didn't. LOL
If you've got any specific questions you can e-mail me. Put your name or something I'll be sure to recognize in the subject line if you do. My normal response to e-mail I don't kno who it's from is to discard without even looking at it.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
LRod wrote:
My Dad started off dual booting (at age 76) into Linux / Win 98. He eventually decided he preferred Win 98 because that's what the people who were advising him knew about. He preferred Linux ... but not enough to swim upstream.
You are a better judge of your Mom than I am ... but don't be hasty to sell her short. Now, 4 years later, my Dad has taken a couple of classes and owns far fancier peripherals than I do! ;-)
Bill
rascal less in the world.
Mostly I use a block of bees wax that I picked up somewhere but in a pinch when I can't find the darned thing, I've used Johnson's Paste wax with no issues. I tend to stick with brass screws and although I drill the correct pilot, I still lube as I really don't want to be trying to remove a broken screw. Given how often I use screws, which is rare, the beeswax has worked fine. Perhaps after 1000 screws I may discover something better but until then.... Cheers, cc

KY Jelly?
--
FF

I have an old 35mm film can with Johnson's paste wax in it.
It does dry out over time, but otherwise, just stick the screw in the wax, and pop it into place. No problems with migration.
Old Guy

That's what I use. Well, not in a special container, I just grab the paste wax can off the shelf but that's what I've been using for screw lube and haven't heard of anything coming apart yet.
That reminds me it's past time to treat the table saw and jointer beds.
C & E wrote:
> I have often used barsoap as a screw lube but found it a pain to keep the > surface sufficiently wet to be easy to use. Whe the soap is too dry it > doesn't adhere to the screw, falling off before it is of any use. <snip>
Waterless hand soap such as GoJo.
As the old commercial for Wild Root Cream Oil went, ".. a little dab will do ya."
Lew

B.
Buddy Matlosz wrote:
> That was Brylcream.
Ah, he remembers.
All is not lost.
Lew

Brylcream, you'll look so debonair. Brylcream, the gals will all pursue ya, They'll love to run their fingers through your hair.
My memory scares me sometimes.
B.
Sun, Feb 11, 2007, 9:48am snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (BuddyMatlosz) doth sayeth: My memory scares me sometimes.
Don't worry. It scares us too.
JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily. - Johann Von Schiller

Mine too. Useless stuff I remember. Names, birthdays, appointments, nope.
-- Mark

My photographic memory is running out of film. The format is no longer supported. The memory I have left is very good, but short. Useless bits, however, linger on forever. Somehow, I remember phone numbers very well... but for some reason, the odd number here or there just will not stick. I do remember that it is Valentines in a few days... that's easy to remember as the death-penalty awaits me if I forget. I call it The Pink Mile.
Buddy Matlosz wrote:
| || Buddy Matlosz wrote: || || > That was Brylcream. || || Ah, he remembers. || || All is not lost. || | Brylcream, a little dab'll do ya, | Brylcream, you'll look so debonair. | Brylcream, the gals will all pursue ya, | They'll love to run their fingers through your hair. | | My memory scares me sometimes.
Train wrecks few reason clear fireman never hugs engineer
Burmashave
I really wish I could erase and re-use at least five or six of those brain cells for something useful...
Morris Dovey wrote:
> Burmashave
The Spring Has sprung The grass Has riz Over where Last year's Careless Driver is BurmaShave
Lew

Seen last year along the road:
Try our FRESH sweet corn
The stand's very near
It'll cost MUCH less than
A buccaneer
BurmaCorn
Sure enough, there was a stand selling sweet corn a half mile down the road . . . .
-Don
--
Honk if you love peace and quiet