Screw Heads: Square Recess vs Square Phillips vs Star vs Lox vs ...

Hi,

While looking for square recess screws I found a plethora of head styles. Has anyone done a comparison of the relative merits of these styles?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
abby

McFeely's catalog has some explanations. I've found it informative.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I don't know of any comprehensive discussions by any outfit that doesn't make or sell screws.

To my way of thinking, square drive is most convenient in difficult locations because the driver can easily carry the screw, Torx (the "star") drives most reliably, Phillips is ubiquitous, the rest kind of suck in one way or another.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Abby,

Although not quite what you were asking, the Summer 2008 issue of Woodworking Magazine has an article that compares several types of screws along with their various attributes, such as head design and thread style. It might be worth taking a look. HTH.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis