Scraper?? I don't need to BUY no stinkin' scraper

Page 1 of 4
I got desperate for a scraper today, so grabbed one of my putty knives (Now dammit; no laughing!!!!) and proceeded to flatten the edge on a diamond sharpener. Ran a screwdriver shank over it about half a dozen times, and damn if I couldn't feel a sharp edge! Ran over to the glue-up drawer front (yesterday's screw-up, which I salvaged) and scraped a bit of protruding edge to flush the two pieces up. Damn if that wasn't almost mystical! You Neanders JUST might have something there. The grain was just POPPING out at me!
I guess I could skip the $18 burnishing tool when I get a set or "real" scrapers? BTW what's the difference between a scraper that is labeled a scraper and a scraper that I "made"?
1. Better cachet 2. Edge will last longer 3. Both one and two 4. None of the above
dave
typo: should read, "when I get a set OF "real""
Bay Area Dave wrote: snip

Screw drivers work fine. Go to the flea market and get an old saw that someone ruined by painting a mill scene on. Cut a scraper out of the steel and go to town. You'll probably have better steel in there than what's in your putty knife. You can also cut shapes to match any profile that you need.
Cool. thanks, CP. I'll keep my eye out for a saw going on the cheap.
dave
Caractacus Potts wrote:

Be careful what saw from the flea market you wind up chopping into little pieces. On another list I subscribe to, a recent "find" by a member (painted "scene" notwithstanding") turned out to be a very rare handsaw. Even cleaned up and refurbished it would still be worth a couple thousand dollars. Ain't no scraper in the world that can make that claim to fame. Now I'm checking every saw I see looking for the vintage Disstons and others.
If, OTOH, the blade is rusty and bent and it has a broken bakelite handle or is otherwise obvious junque, then your solution is perfect.
Jon E
The biggest difference between a "real" scraper and your putty knife scraper is that a real scraper is probably cheaper than your putty knife and has a lot longer edge to work with. A regular scraper may hold its hook longer than your putty knife.

Definitely. But lay off the screwdrivers. There's much harder steel readily available: find yourself a machine shop that rebuilds engines, and ask them for a few used valve lifters. I got four lifters from a Chevy big-block for two bucks, and I figure that's gonna be a lifetime supply of burnishing rods. Some cleaning and polishing will be required. And of course there's no handle, but part of the fun is turning your own. (Do you have a lathe?)

from an old handsaw -- that's likely to be harder steel than a putty knife.

5. Longer cutting edge.
Hi, You probably mean pushrods; hydraulic lifters are too short & thick to make a decent burnisher, and I think they have only two polished areas, rest is rough cast. Also would be hard to get all the oil out of them :-) Casey

Who said anything about hydraulic lifters? "Pushrod" is the slang term, "valve lifter" the correct one.

Having been in and retired from the automotive industry for 20+ years, and concerning most any Chevy V8, I can honestly say that I have never heard of a "Push Rod" being the slang term for "lifter" or "valve lifter". Valve lifters, be they hydraulic, solid or roller, are used along with "Push Rods". Push rods and lifters are 2 different parts. Anyway, you will normally find most Chevy engines small or big block, equipped with hydraulic lifters and hollow push rods.
So, which is it, the 3" x 3/4" lifter, or the 10" x 1/4" push rod? ;~) Seems the longer push rod would be much easier to use given its much longer length. The Lifter on the other hand would seem to be more difficult to use because it is shorter and many have indention's on the sides that would interrupt the smooth surface.
You and Casey got Know-it-all Miller dead to rights. "Pushrod" has NEVER been the slang form of lifter. Besides which, OHC engines have NO pushrods; only lifters. :)
dave
Leon wrote:

Well I was going to go into that aspect concerning the OHC engines but I don't recall if any late model Chevy V8's have OHC's. He was talking "big block".
Which brings up another point, the valve itself would probably work pretty well for putting a burr on a scraper. Valves are normally quite hard.
Leon wrote:

Valves fork very nicely, and the stem is very hard steel. It also has that nice end that works for a handle. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

me?
If he plonked as many people as he's claimed to, he wouldn't have anyone left to talk to. That would spell death knell for his personality.

Personality? Ahh, a euphemism, gotcha ;-)
On 19 Nov 2003, Groggy spake unto rec.woodworking:

This will make things clear:
http://tinyurl.com/vnz1
Scott
Scott, you never cease to amaze me with your venom. Have you tried therapy to deal with your anger? I feel a limerick about to be born...
There once was a crackpot named Scott Who wasn't as smart as he thought For always he demeaned others Knew not the meaning of "brothers" Will his vitriol ever stop?
dave
Scott Cramer wrote: snip
On 19 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Uh, Dave, that link goes back to June, when you were flapping your gums about things of which you knew even less than you do now. There's no vitriol there, just a bit of pointed humor.
    Here's a dare for you. I dare you to post no more than three times a day for two weeks. I guarantee that if you put a bit more thought into your posts, actually THINKING about your questions a bit before flooding the NG with them, you would see far fewer responses of an insulting nature. It is the incessant chatter, pointless blather, and useless responses to countless threads that fuels my desire to dope-slap you all the time.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Familiarity breeds contempt.
    Think you can do it? Three times a day, for two weeks. Shut your yap and listen instead of reporting every stupid goddamn thing you do all day long. The only responses you'll get from me will be of a serious, helpful nature. For two weeks, at least.
Scott
hmm... you only cursed once. I think that's a record, Scotty! I will not limit my posts, but feel free to respond to only three of mine per day, with serious responses to serious WW questions. We can both skip all the OT bs and make EVERYONE happier in the process.
So, meet me half way? That's the deal. Ball's in your court.
dave