Scraper

Flatten both sides with water stone. Ok. check Flatten and polish edge with water stone. Ok. check Roll the burr with newly purchased burnisher. Ok. check.

Feel burr with thumb. Ahhh, nice burr!

Practice scrape on some pine. DUST. Change angle and scrape again. DUST.

Ahhhh Crap. PPPPFFFFFFTTTTTT!!!!!!

Throw scraper across the workshop. Ok. check!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
stoutman

How well does the scraper work now that you put a few nicks in it?

Dave

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
David

"stoutman" wrote in news:qQbie.34962$tf1.2661265 @twister.southeast.rr.com:

Scrapers and pine aren't the best of combinations. Try some hardwood. Cherry and maple work pretty well. Walnut OK. Oak varies. Softwoods generally suck.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Try it on harder wood. I find my scraper doesn't work as well on soft woods. Course, it might just be me.....

Getting the burr right and repeatable is an epiphany. Creating lace shavings with it is poetry.... and NO sanding dust.... and it's quiet....

If you want to go pick that scraper up, here's what I do.

The first steps (honing) are essentially the same (start with a mill file, diamond vs water, blah, blah blah). How do you roll the burr? burnisher at

90 to the edge? I've found that holding it about 5 deg off of 90 with the tip slightly leading the handle (think of this as 5 deg off of 90 horizontally and the tip leading by 5deg as well), then start the stroke at the tip and finish at the handle, while maintaing the angles. Talkes a little practice, but it's the best method I've found.

Of course, if all this fails, the one good thing about a dull scraper is that it doens't take up much room in the shop (unlike some of those other tool purchases [roto-zip, detail sander, etc, etc......])

Joe C.

Reply to
Joe C

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks. I was expecting nice shavings like you see in the magazines, but.... DUST.

I will try some maple.

Reply to
stoutman

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna give maple a go!

Thanks

Reply to
stoutman

As others have said, try it on hardwood. Then the only other thing I can say is that you are trying too hard! I am fairly lazy, so to put a nice edge on my el-cheapo Stanley scraper I use a fine belt on my PC belt sander and hold the scraper the long way against the belt. Then I roll the edge with whatever screwdriver is around. Nice fine curls every time! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Man o' man - I *know* what you're going through. I'm thinking of starting a business in Presharpened Disposable Scrapers just for idiots like me...

Reply to
patrick conroy

Reply to
Prometheus

Fortunately, scrapers work best on softwood where you need them most - knots and such which are hard to sand and twice as gummy. Though more of an art than science on softwood, if you press less - tough when you're getting bad results for great effort - and push more, your chances are good to smooth out the tough areas.

You may want to tune up a smoother - best of all on soft wood

Reply to
George

Scrapers don't really work on softwoods.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Skip the waterstone. I like waterstones, but for scrapers I use a harder oil or arkansas. Waterstones groove too easily if you work this narrow edge across them.

Roll and turn. Roll the first burr _along_ the burnisher (parallel to the main surface) and then turn it over by about 90° to stick out sideways. This is much easier to produce a usefully sized burr.

You can't scrape soft softwoods. Try some oak instead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 17 May 2005 01:32:06 GMT, the inscrutable "stoutman" spake:

OK, fine. Send it to me. I'll get 'er working...and keep it. Got my address?

------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's kinda funny with the scraper business. I spent hours and hours doing the thing "right" just like what you did, and I got nowhere. Then, about the point I almost gave up, I saw some shavings!!

Since then, when I got lazy, I just put the scraper on the vice and file it away w/o worrying that it's nice and polished. Then I just pass a cheap ($2) engine push rod (not even a true "burnisher") over it a few more times and, wham, got good shavings.

I think it's like learning how to bike. Once you "learned", you can almost throw the theory away. The hard part is to get to that point.

Good luck!

Reply to
CrackedHands

That's what I use, too. It may not be a "true burnisher" but it's every bit as good as one - that's some danged hard steel. Some day, I'll get around to making a nice handle for it on the lathe...

Doug Miller

presharpened scrapers!! good ideal. but if making your own is hard wook, making enough to sell will be a pain.... but i'll let you start making some for me!!! c'ya larry

Reply to
Larry and Lois

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:Wepie.3132$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

There's one in my toolbox, too, but it came with a caution: Don't cut it, because it _might_ be one of the sodium-filled ones.

So it has no handle. And works pretty well, when I do.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Leave scraper where it is, go out and buy thin scraper, the thinnest you can find. I have one that's 0.45mm thick. This gives me curls from Borg pine. Right tool for the job, that's the key.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Exhausts only. So if it's an inlet, it won't be filled.

Anyway, what's the big deal about cutting a sodium-filled valve open ? Just hacksaw it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm no scraper afficiadado in the least. Still learning every time I pull it out. The one thing I have learned is that when rolling the burr, it doesn't take much pressure at all. I was pushing down pretty hard the first many times and just got dust. When I tried going at it lighter, I got a burr that produced shavings. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson