Sawyers in Northern Va

Good afternoon folks,
I was the lucky recipient of a dastardly deed and hope to capitalize on it.
Last week, somebody dumped the remains of a LARGE maple tree in the parking lot of our church. It was obviously done by a landscape or tree removal company that didn't want to pay the county for dumping it. So to solve that problem, they dumped it where a non-profit church would have to pay for the removal. Aargh.
Now for the good part. The lower part of the trunk of this tree is 36" in diameter while a little higher up there is evidence of quilting and birdseye. Oh yeah, and the church says I can have all I can use since they wont have to pay as much to have it hauled.
With this in mind, I need to locate a portable sawmill in Northern Va and am having a tough time trying to find one. The closest I can find is in Maryland and is over 50 miles away.
There are none listed in the phonebook that I have.
Anyone?
Thanks.
Robert snipped-for-privacy@plwireless.com
Robert wrote:

I would jump on whatever you can find. I searched all over the D.C. Metro area awhile back and found nothing. There was one guy I think, but for some reason he couldn't do it.
In fact, would you mind giving me the number of the guy you did find?
Good Luck,
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Try contacting Barbara Gill snipped-for-privacy@oonl.com
She's a friend of mine from WoodCentral. I'm not sure exactly where in VA she is, and I don't know if her mill is portable, but at least you'll be talking to a sawyer and she may have leads for you if she can't do it.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

She is in Remlik, just outside of Urbanna. She has a Woodmizer.
Have you ever seen the flooring in their house? Dan did the layout, Barbara did the milling and cutting. The photos on the web site do not do it justice. You can find it through www.velvitoil.com Check out their home page for lots of interesting things. I've spent a few weekends with the Gills and they are some of the nicest and most interesting people you'll ever meet. Ed
Contact Woodmizer and some of the other mill builders. They refer owners. DAGS for sawmill makers, bandsaw mills, etc. Everything over two inches is fine firewood. Have a bonfir with the rest. Wilson

That's too bad (for the church). I live in Richmond and just had 3,000bf sawn by Skyhawk Custom Sawing (Williamsburg). There was a sawyer in NoVA but he didn't want to travel to Richmond, which might be perfect for you. I found them both on www.forestryforum.com (find-a-sawyer link).
If it's just a little bit you may end up paying a lot for the transport fee, but at $0.30/bf you can get a darn good deal with even a few hundred bf.
Then there's always my Alaskan mill...
Chris