Sawstop and dado

Leon,

How big a dado stack can you get on the Sawstop? Would it be the same as the Professional? I am putting a 3/4 dado on my Delta contractor... and was reminded of the problem, I use my stabilizer rather than the arbor washer, because with the arbor washer I can't get enough threads.

I am actually short of 3/4 by 1/32 and won't be putting the remaining chippers in..

But I am curious, it's still something I want to swap out... I haven't lost the value... I know I will have to build a new ramp to get it down here. With a come along or winch to somehow get it down the stairs.

Reply to
woodchucker

I want to say 15/16" and it must be an 8" set. I would imagine the pro would use the same.

IIRC Sawstop recommends not using the arbor washer beyond a certain stacked thickness, just use the nut.

About the only issue with not using the outer washer is that when clamping the nut against the outer blade I get a bit of blade twist and the teeth will touch an inner chipper tooth. The outer washer helps to prevent this from happening. This is only an issue when tightening the nut. So you stick a small scrap between the teeth and you are good to go during the tightening process.

Reply to
Leon

With the Freud Dial-a-Width Dado set you don't use an arbor washer for any width.

FWIW, I will never willingly go back to using a shimmed dado stack. My old Amana shimmed dado stack has been collecting dust for going on ten years now.

Reply to
Swingman

And how wide is that on the arbor? Isn't it bigger than a 3/4" stack?

BTW I need to replace the bottom of my garage door. Both sides have rotted. What was the name of the lightweight waterproof mdf?

I might make the panels out of that, since I have no clue what they originally had, but it is a manufactured board of some sought.

Reply to
woodchucker

13/16" Max

Temple-Inland's "UtlraStock" "moisture resistant", not proof.

There is also Sierra Pine product called Medite that is similar in characteristics.

But it is not lightweight.

This might be, I understand, both. But I have not been able to find it locally.

Masonite, or a like product, was commonly used by the fly-by-nighters in that application at one time.

Reply to
Swingman

Maybe a smidge, it is still a stack but the outer adjustable blade moves/adjusts in and out parallel to the chipper. The teeth on the outer blade are quite wide so there can be a lot of overlap with the chippers if adjusted narrow. And the adjustment dial is do-nut shaped, the arbor nut tightens against the outer blade vs the adjustment ring. A special socket type wrench is provided for easier access to the arbor nut.

Not sure about light weight but typically the water resistant" MDF is green in color. I ask for the green water resistant MDF.

I have actually seen Masonite used in the door panels, that might be what you have. MDO might be a good choice also if you can get it in the correct thickness. This material is used by the highway department for making road signs.

Reply to
Leon

Beat me by a minute!

Reply to
Leon

Thanks.

Thanks, I guess not suitable if just resistant, the originals are raised panels, but not Masonite, unless Masonite came in a thicker raised panel. The bottom panels are the one's in trouble, and that occurred after the bottom board rotted. I know I can make one rather than replace the whole door. I'll replace the whole thing when others degenerate.

Reply to
woodchucker