Saw tuning - removing set

I got my backsaw back from the sharpener's with more set than I'd like. Is it a simple matter to narrow it up a bit, or do you need special equipment and years of training?

Reply to
Gordon Airport

One way is to lay the saw on it's side, supporting it with a flat board or workbench. Take a slipstone and draw it past the side of the teeth once on each side and test it to see if the set is proper, if not do it again once on each side until it's correct.

If the saw drifts to one side, slipstone the side towards the drift one time and test. Repeat until the drift is gone.

Paul Sellers at Homestead Heritage recommends taking the set out lightly with a hammer. If you flatten it too much, you will have to re-set the teeth. This can be done with a proper saw set or with a nail set. I've never used the nail set, some woodworkers have recommended it.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes